Monday, August 16, 2004

Poetry Workshop

Hanging out at PJ Billingtons in the Wharf Inn after a day of poetry with Roger Moore. What have I learned?

. . . It's easier to stay silent and receive criticism without having to defend or justify your work . . . You can open yourself up by freeing yourself from structure . . . One way to keep ideas flowing and generate new ones is through webbing . . . (I wonder if Mom has gone to the wrong hotel pick me up? Maybe she thought I said the Rodd?)

So, I wrote a poem today, then tweaked it while sitting at the restaurant. The inspiration we were given was "happiness". And this is what I came up with:

Mid-morning
The train swaggers into the station like a super star
Rays of sunshine washing over its body
Popping like paparazzi flash bulbs
Leaves sigh in the trees
Squirrels chatter

The child breaks free of the exiting pack
Runs into his fathers outstretched arms
Lifts off the ground
Legs dangling
Swinging in a wide arc
Held in tight embrace

Welcome home

Mood: Creative
Drinking: The house wine, Red
Listening To: Top 40 radio
Hair: severely tied back in a tight ponytail

No comments: