Saturday, August 28, 2004

Return from Clutter & Disarray

Late last fall I decided I needed to take my life back -- lose weight, embrace my work, accept my family for who they are, get healthy, become more organized and productive, start writing again and doing the things I truly enjoy. Throughout the year, I've been working toward this, somewhat sporadic by times, but still I haven't given up completely, I continue to slog through.

It was like that when I quit smoking. I had at least a year of fits and starts before I finally got the hang of it and saw it through, made the life change. So, I think developing the rest of my life could happen like that too. That's why I don't get down on myself when I get away from exercising for awhile or I decide I'm going to pig out on chips and ice cream all weekend. I allow my slip-ups because I know it doesn't kill the process.

I took a big step last week and moved my office from the general living room into the privacy of my own bedroom. My mother and I have been at odds about this for a long time now. She didn't want me to do it . . . Though I'm not entirely certain why. Maybe she thought I really didn't want to and she was just being supportive. Anyway, in order to facilitate this move and have it be functional, I had to reclaim that bedroom space as my own, which is something I haven't done in awhile. There were a lot of papers to go through, junk to toss, books to organize, things to file . . . But finally, I got it all done and now everything is completely organised to the best of my ability.

I may be slow and somewhat sporadic but eventually I will win this race.

Mood: Determined
Listening to: Waiting for the Miracle, Leonard Cohen
Drinking: Black tea
Hair: fuzzy, badly damaged

No comments: