Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Good Rockin'



It was tough growing up in rural NB with only two tv channels and no FM radio. Everything I knew about music I learned from Stan the Man on Switchback CBC Sunday morning, the New Music magazine with JD Roberts and Jeanne Beker, Good Rockin' Tonight with Terry David Mulligan and then Stu Jeffries and WNBC out of New York that would come in on the radio in my dad's car late at night when the air was clear. Big old Ford LTD, black, tan/taupe interior, possibly a 1974 or '76, two door. I'd sit out there discretely smoking until I knew my parents had gone to bed and wouldn't catch me, twisting the dial until I heard the call sign -- wNbc! That's how I saw it in my head, all lower case except the N, they always put the emphasis on the N. I'd hope the signal would last until Imus came on in the morning. I loved the promos for his show. But as the night wore into morning the static would pick up until finally the station blinked out like it never existed. God, those were simpler times! I was reminded of this when a friend told me about this 80's Music Festival happening in Saint John.



Mood: nostalgic
Drinking: hot chocolate
Listening To: my jaw snapping as i chew gum
Hair: fluffy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! LOVED IT!!!

They all were so young!!! Seems so long ago but then to watch it again, it seems like yesterday somehow.

David said...

An 80's festival would be amazing.

Simply Kel said...

I know! How fabulous is that?!