Tuesday, September 07, 2004

What to do when your "Get Up & Go" gets up and goes

God! What a weekend! Every Labour Day weekend for the last, oh . . . I don't know, probably 13 years, my ex-boyfriend's kids have come to stay at my mom's house for the weekend. Yeah, I know that's kind of weird, but what can you do? My mom loves those kids. So, this year the oldest girl turned 13 and we had a big get together for the weekend as usual. Things got underway Saturday evening when we had a pot luck supper. I stayed up until 3 am Friday night cooking . . . and drinking some wine (a whopping four glasses actually!) I made a few different dishes, bbq pork and stir fried rice medley, taco hamburger medley with nachos, guacamole, spicy beef and mexican rice, honey garlic chicken, and Italian chicken in marinara with pasta. Yeah, I do love to cook! And I even did dishes for this special occasion. One of my sisters' made sweet 'n sour meatballs, potatoe scallop and hamburger rolls. The other made a potatoe, chicken, broccolli and cheese casserole. Top the dinner off with rolls, butter, a nice bottle of Bordeaux, chocolate birthday cake and ice cream . . . and it was quite the feast. I think there are still some leftovers in the fridge, though my brother can have them, I'm still stuffed!

My sisters brought their kids and husbands and we played some birthday type games with prizes and later had a campfire outside and made smores (which I never had before, yummy!) Sunday morning everyone returned to my mom's house for a birthday brunch complete with pancakes, sausage, bacon, ham, hash browns, etc. I didn't enjoy brunch very much I admit. By the time all the children were fed everything was overcooked and dried out. There weren't enough pancakes. Mom's heart didn't seem into it. Brunch had been her idea but then that morning she didn't want to cook anything, no eggs, no toast, no muffins, no scones, nothing really brunch-like, just a breakfast with a lot of different types of burnt pork. I don't know what was up with that. But anyway, it's over finally and all the children have gone home, gone off to school actually, and my mother has gone back to work and finally I'm alone in the house and have a little peace and quiet. It's nice. So nice I gave myself a facial and dared to shave my legs. But I have to admit, all the weekend eating is still weighing me down a bit. Blech! It's back to lean meats, whole grains and veggies tomorrow.


Mood: Played Right the F' Out!
Listening to: Chariot, Gavin DeGraw
Drinking: Hardy's Cabernet Merlot (Australia)
Hair: greasy

No comments: