Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Awards Day

I got up bright and early this morning to catch the live announcement of this year's Oscar nominees. Actually, I didn't get up, I stayed up all night, but really what's the difference. The point is I was there parked in front of the TV when the names dropped. There were no surprises really. Of course it would be helpful if I could see some of the movies involved before the actual ceremony, but chances are slim. The only films I've seen that were mentioned are Collateral, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Before Sunset . . . all available on DVD. Our theatre is in crises, bringing in nothing new week after week, and certainly not bringing in anything for adult audiences . . . unless it's horror. I have hopes maybe Hide and Seek with Dakota Fanning will come here because it looks frightening and has some big names involved. But then again I thought they would have shown White Noise, and that didn't happen, so who knows what they're thinking down there. You would think when you get a cineplex like that, with multiple screens, that you would get some variety and choices . . . but I'm really not impressed with what they choose to monopolise all the screens with. Is it too much to ask for at least one movie every couple of weeks aimed at the over 30 crowd?

In other news, U2 announced the first leg of their world tour yesterday and they've only got one date in Canada -- April 28th or 29th (I forget which) in Vancouver . . . Vancouver, British Columbia . . . it doesn't get much further away and still be part of the North American leg. So, there goes my New Year's goal out the window. I've got a lot going on in April. There's the WFNB AGM, which will involved transportation to whatever city is hosting this year, two nights lodging at whatever swanky hotel they're having everything at, workshop fees, Awards Dinner, general meals and drinks (much wine). There's also the Northrope Frye Festival in Moncton in April which may involve up to five nights hotel accommodation, train transportation to and from Moncton, taxis, meals, admissions, workshop fees, much wine, etc. I can count on spending at least a couple of hundred dollars on books during these things. That's a lot of saving and preparation in order to be able to do all this. There's no way I can also swing a trip to Vancouver for a U2 concert. They have some dates stateside in Boston, New York, Chicago, etc. But still it's May and there's no way I'll be able to do that so soon after all the writerly activities of April and as I prepare to move by June. Plus, I really don't want to go to the U.S. for some reason, I have an aversion. I don't want to spend my hard earned money there. I had hoped there would be a Fall date in Toronto. And maybe there will be, this is only the first leg that they've announced, after all. But that's what I had my heart set on, Fall in Toronto with U2, visiting old friends, going to see a show (Mama Mia maybe if it's still going on), maybe taking in some of the Harbourfront International Festival of Authors or something -- I had a plan! And maybe it'll still happen, maybe I don't even need Bono to go to Toronto this fall. Maybe I'll just go anyway.

But I'm getting ahead of myself . . . it is still January isn't it?

Mood: Tired
Drinking: Water
Listening To: Oprah drift down the hall from the living room
Hair: Severely ponytailed and just back from a fresh paint job

No comments: