Monday, June 04, 2007

Walk Well

Well I'm back from a weekend in Moncton with the family to participate in the Walk for the Cure for Juvenile Diabetes. Despite leaving somewhat later than anticipated on Saturday morning, our room was not ready when we arrived. A bit of mis-information in thinking check-in could occur at 11am without an early check-in special request. So we had lunch in the other room (at least one of us could check in) and then went shopping. I bought two water bottles and a set of measuring cups and got a little cranky from the clausterphobic crush of Saturday shoppers. Really, for me, nothing says terrible time more than shops filled with people. I know it's bad for the retail business but I much prefer entering stores where I'm one of a few rather than one of the multitude. And of course having five kids to watch in the throng, didn't help. The last store we went in was okay though, not nearly as crowded as the others. A person could breathe at least and they had some good deals. Of course, I had no shopping money, but still it pretty much redeemed the whole experience. After shopping our room was finally ready. It stank to the high heavens of stale cigarette smoke. Blech! I had to sit by the open window with the air conditioning running full blast in order to stand it. Disgusting. I would rather spring for my own room someplace else rather than stay there again. The nicotine poisoned air actually gave me leg cramps in the night. I'm not even kidding. The other room downstairs seemed slightly better. Thankfully we had dinner all together down there to celebrate my niece's birthday. I resisted take-out Wendy's and DQ Ice Cream cake, opting for the rice and roast beef I packed instead. Cuz that's what a healthy lifestyle involves. Being conscious of the crap and making better choices. I went a little overboard later though and drank a whole bottle of wine. At least it helped me sleep on the fold out couch in the main room. Sunday morning I got to watch most episodes of Coronation Street before heading to the coffee shop for breakfast. Eating out is hard! It's hard to make good choices when you don't know how. Like not thinking to order the toast unbuttered for instance. So it comes dripping greasy and you know it's hundred of ugly fat calories right there, in a single meal. Blows your day. Sunday was a terrible day foodwise. Maybe I need to eat out more, to get used to how to order stuff, to get more practice. Like when I had to eat at McDonald's for supper. I didn't have a clue what to get. I was absolutely starving. Like passing out in the line-up starving. And I just couldn't stomach an old iceberg lettuce salad. I had no idea what to order. So I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich, no fries or pop or anything, but again, I forgot to order it plain, so it came drenched in sauce and mayo. And there we go, a second meal in the same day that used all my fats and all my calories. The road to hell is truly paved with good intentions. I had researched nutrition facts for Wendy's and Dairy Queen, so I was prepared if we went there. I was not prepared for McDonald's :-( Oh well, it's a learning experience.

The walk itself was fabulous! Great band, extremely emotional moments, nice walk, good times! I imagine J will blog the details. I'm outta time. Overall, had a really nice weekend. Already talking about what we'll do to raise money for next year. I was exhausted when I got home. Just checked email and went to bed. Didn't get up with the alarm this morning. Made an executive decision to give myself more rest and recuperation. So I slept in until quarter after 7. I want to start a 5am routine this week. We'll see how that goes. Anyway, gotta run, much to do today.

Mood: sleepy
Drinking: king cole tea, black
Listening To: apartment building silence . . . which truly isn't silence at all
Hair: tied up

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really wasn't all that bad. I had an awesome time and even though there was some smoke in our room, I'd stay there again. I really liked the location of the motel and the girls loved the pool! One day of challenging food choices really isn't that bad, Kel. When I look back on this weekend, all I see is the wonderful day we had on Sunday at the park! Everything else doesn't matter. The smiles on the kids faces and knowing how we actually did something for a great cause makes my being so tired today worthwhile. :)

Simply Kel said...

I am not complaining. Did I not say the walk was awesome? Will I go again next? YES! I'm merely stating the facts. I don't swim. I don't like to shop. I dislike smoke probably more than anybody else because I used to do it. I would rather stay someplace else next time. And I probably will. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that. Eating out was eye-opening to say the least. It's a real shocker to come home and enter in all the stuff you consumed and realize how much junk one has consumed in relative ignorance thinking they were doing the very best.

Anonymous said...

Didn't think you were a complainer, just thought your entry was on the down side. That's all.

Simply Kel said...

It is intended to be neither down nor up. Just a quick recounting of the weekend as a whole, perhaps you neglected to read the last paragraph where I actually say, "The walk itself was fabulous! Great band, extremely emotional moments, nice walk, good times! I imagine J will blog the details. I'm outta time. Overall, had a really nice weekend."

cleanspirit said...

I can't believe the motel/hotel or whatever it was still lets people smoke in the rooms! I guess maybe they do...or maybe it was left over from years of smoke. I hate it when that happens too. And good for you turning down DQ icecream cake for roast beef! I need to get me some of that will power.

Sounds like a fabulous weekend though. Must have felt so good for the kids to know they helped raise a bunch of money for the cause and then to go see all the other people involved. Tears me right up it does!

Simply Kel said...

Nope. There were ashtrays! With cards of matches in them! The hallway was rank. But you can request non-smoking rooms, we just didn't because they only had these two suites with kitchens and that's what we needed. But there non-smoking rooms are all mixed in amongst the smoking rooms anyway, so it would make absolutely no difference. I mean nobody was smoking in our room and I could totally smell it when the people around us lit up :-( Yucky!

Yes, very emotional. I couldn't write about it. Can barely read what Jenn wrote, it tears me up. I cried all day Sunday. But yes, it was good to do this. It would be really nice if Team Keenan could grow. There were some really big teams there.