Sunday, October 21, 2007

Only 24 Hours

So here's my light bulb ah-ha moment of the day . . . simply put, there are not enough hours in the day to do all that I want to do. Ok, yeah, we knew that, right? Well, not really. I mean I've always kinda thought it was my lack of discipline, my lack of planning, my lack of organizational skills that kept me from "doing it all." Not so, I see now. Quite literally, there are not enough hours in the day.

I made a list. Things I enjoy doing that make me happy like writing here on the Limbo blog, reading for pleasure, writing fiction, etc. Things that I need to prod myself to do but once I get into it I enjoy doing plus they are beneficial to my health and sanity, ie. walking, exercise, cooking good meals, personal development exercises/readings/cds etc. Things I have to do whether I want to or not like work, sleeping, personal hygiene, housework, etc.

The result -- if I shopped (I'm talking groceries and household supplies not shopping for fun), did volunteer work, watched tv and socialized only on weekends, I'd still need 26 hours in a day in order to consistently do it all and still get 8 hours sleep a night. Hmm. There you have it. There truly isn't enough time in a day to do it all. Unless . . . I only sleep 6 hours per night and I save all my shopping, volunteer work, television watching and socializing for weekends only. Or even better I only sleep 4 or 5 hours so I have an hour or two for spontaneity. I'm being sarcastic. Of course.

And this after I already gave up all my groups and freelance work. Sheesh!

Mood: reality checked
Drinking: nothing
Listening To: the dryer tumble
Hair: damp

No comments: