Thursday, May 01, 2008

Never Let Me Down Again

Definitely starting to physically come around to my old self now. Last night I stayed up until after 2am reading. This morning I was awake at 7. When I naturally fall back to 5 hours sleep I know I'm feeling better.

So I finished reading the first of my Frye Festival purchases, Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill. I heard Heather read at the Soiree Frye last Thursday night and it seemed to me that maybe her book was a similar style to something I've been working on. It turns out, it's not really, but even still I don't regret the purchase.

This novel won the Canada Reads competition and got a lot of buzz. It's her first one. She's rather young (30-something) and an entertaining reader and speaker. I went to a round table panel discussion she participated in and she was very enjoyable.

An interesting thing I noticed about Heather's book was that she uses a lot of similes. I mean A LOT! I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a page without at least one, and most have several. Everything is like or as something else. For my taste there might have even been too many, but it does make for a very visually stimulating piece. I could do with a few more in my writing maybe. Or if not including them in the prose, to at least be thinking about what things might be like or as. I seem to have forgotten about metaphors and similes as tools in my toolbox. So this was a good reminder.

The book is worth a read, I mean obviously I stayed up half the night finishing it, so I must have been pulled along by the characters, but I was left wanting, I dunno, more somehow. The ending seemed a little rushed and all tied up in little bows, which isn't really my style, but overall, it's a good read, lots of nuggets for thought.

Have tons of things to accomplish today. Need to go out and do some shopping. Need to freaking clean up my apartment before company arrives later this afternoon. I'm such a slob this week!

Mood: manic
Drinking: coffee, black
Listening To: all my life, foo fighters
Hair: blonde, but not dumb

No comments: