Monday, May 26, 2008

Sympathy for the Devil

Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name ... Happy Monday! Another crazy week beginning. I am so tired. Fingers crossed I get some sleep sometime this week, cuz next week I'm outta here for a bit! Off to the big city and that's not going to be a restful excursion, lol. My flights to and from are insanely early. I need to figure out the logistics of all that trip stuff soon.

So this weekend was pretty good. INSANE, but ... is there any other way? Went to the movies Friday night and saw What Happens in Vegas with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz. Great date movie! A good laugh. A drink and some conversation afterward, turned into me not going to sleep until the wee hours.

Up wicked early Saturday morning on a couple hours restless nervous semi-sleep. Had a hung over feeling despite having not been drunk. Rushed around all morning house cleaning and doing laundry and tidying up extraneous play details as I tried to get to the theatre early. Didn't happen. Got there about a quarter after noon. But the stage still wasn't set up so it didn't really matter, I could have been later even.

First run-through of the play was much less shaky than Wednesday night's rehearsal, which was heartening, though everyone was subdued, not bringing 'er just yet. Grabbed some Dixie Lee for lunch and then quickly ran through a dress rehearsal before heading backstage to suit up for the real deal.

Hair, make-up, singing, nervous chatter, jokes ... the wait to go on was a little brutal. I was so worried I was going to forget everything, that we'd screw up the lines and leave out the important part, like we had in EVERY rehearsal. But before I knew it we were huddled backstage listening to Sherry welcome everyone and talk about the cause, the girls, diabetes, which is never easy and at one point I even plugged my ears because I was starting to tear up.

Then the curtain opened and the boys went out to do their thing while I held my breath, freaking ... until they got a laugh, which didn't take long, and then I relaxed because I knew we were on and it was going to be ok. I forgot what it was like to be in a play. I forgot about the complete gut-wrenching wanna puke nervous energy turning into dead calm, complete focus. Wow! I can't believe I didn't remember that. I swear that's the lowest my heart rate has been in years, acting is better than yoga! Meditation even! And all this before I even made my entrance.

I stumbled a bit in the third act and needed to be prompted, but other than that there were no noticeable blunders on my part I don't think, and I remembered the important line in the first act that we'd never remembered before, which was good.

After expenses the play raised $900 for Juvenile Diabetes research. And that's it for our group fundraising effort, this week individual members of Team Keenan will be soliciting pledges from people in order to reach their personal fundraising goal. If you haven't supported our Walk for the Cure happening this Sunday in Moncton and you'd like to, there's still time. Click here to pledge me and help me reach my personal goal of raising $100.

Thanks so much for supporting us through the yard sale, play, and pledges. It means so much to me and my whole family.

So after the play came the crash. I forgot about that part too. Total zonk out. And an insatiable thirst for a strong drink. There had been talk of a wrap party with cast and crew, but then everyone was like they were going home, so I just went home with a couple of friends who had come to see the play ... and missed the wrap party that apparently did come together later ... oh well, I was tired anyway. Had a cosmo and a glass of wine, which made me super sleepy so then I made a hot chocolate and woke up a bit. My friends stayed for one drink and left shortly after my Friday night first date showed up for a second ... which went so well, a third is planned for next weekend.

I couldn't sleep Saturday night at all, was awake until after 5am, and up again on only a couple of hours sleep because I had to work. Stacy had dropped off the second draft of bnm at the end of the play for proofing and Sunday was Anna's birthday party so I wanted to try and get up home. I didn't figure there'd be many changes, we got lots of stuff fixed up in the first draft. So I sent Stacy a few changes, wrote a few cover blurbs, showered, packed, and was ready to leave when Mom got here around noon. We went to the mall so Mom could get The Missus a gift. I seized the opportunity to buy some freaking new underwear, because what I've been wearing makes me feel like a homeless person, underwires busting out of bras, poking in my armpit, scratching my breasts, panties full of holes or just a bunch of loose threads tied in a knot, and socks ... man, I have no idea where my socks have been disappearing to?! There really is a sock monster in the dryer! Buying underwear is so much fun! I really should do it more often.

So yesterday was spent up home having Burke's take-out, cake & ice cream, watching a week's worth of Corrie, in bed by 11 but still couldn't sleep. Read until long after midnight. Slept eventually for a couple of hours. Up early and came home with everyone on their way to work. Have arrived to email saying I'm needed at the office today for manual printing of bnm. No rest for the weary. I should sleep tonight though. In my own bed. With a lot of the last month's pressure relieved. One can hope.

And there's a big ole long post for those of you who have missed me. Now, you're up to date!

Mood: sleepy
Drinking: coffee
Listening To: we got the beat, the go-go's
Hair: pretty blonde

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kellie! I have missed you, I am going to introduce myself to you sometime when I have the nerve. I buy BnM and after I read it I send it to my fellow Miramicher living in Flin Flon, I am going to buy her a subscription for her birthday, she reads it and takes it to her work they LOVE it, the manager is from Miramichi originally (hey aren't we all? or at least wannabes?)Have a great week Kel....I say that like I know you, your writing makes me want to be your bestest friend.

Simply Kel said...

That's so cool! Thanks! I love hearing what people think of the magazine. I forget sometimes that people are reading this blog besides my sisters and cousins.

I'm not at all scary, so you can definitely introduce yourself :-) Have a great week too! Hopefully I'll be able to blog more this week than the last few.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember prompting you?

Simply Kel said...

When Thomas was screaming at me, third act, I was lost in the yelling and couldn't think to say that was the best part, leading into the free thing. Maybe you didn't prompt me, but someone did, lol.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah............now I remember. lol

it's all just so foggy! lol