Friday, November 05, 2004

Love & Happiness

All over the web in blogs and on message boards and all the places I hang around, Americans are reeling from the election results. I haven't run into any who wanted this outcome. And this strikes me as a little odd, because it really wasn't that close (not as close as last time). So, who voted for him? Do they not blog or visit the same message boards as me? It's kind of weird. I've also been hearing quite a bit about some disturbing election day tactics . . . huge men in suits hanging around outside polling stations and bullying little old ladies to vote against Kerry . . . women and black people being given the run-around until they became so confused about where to go that they just went home . . . people being told they couldn't vote, when they really could . . . flyers being circulated in small town America spreading rumours like it's illegal to vote if you have outstanding parking tickets . . . and more. Is it sour grapes because their guy lost? Or do these things really happen, allowing the other guy to win every time? It's all very suspicious . . . and fits right in with my Osama theory -- that he doesn't really exist, that the government invented him because they needed an enemy to fight. I'm sure I've written about that theory before here someplace. I mean when you think about it, it's really kind of absurd -- 7 foot tall, turban wearing, hooked up to dialysis . . . yet impossible to find. He's like a comic book character.

Love and Happiness

Well, we're droppin' our bombs
In the southern hemisphere
And people are starving
That live right here
And they're tearing down walls
In the name of peace
And they're killing each other
In the Middle East

But love and happiness
Have forgotten our names
And there's no value left
In love and happiness

They raise the price of oil
And they censor our mouths
If you are a young couple today
Forget buying a house
And we wage our wars
In the neighborhoods
We kill the young to feed the old
And man that ain't no good

But love and happiness
Have forgotten our names
And there's no value left
In love and happiness

So, if you sell arms
Or you run dope
You got respect
And you got hope
But the rest of us die
On your battle fields
With wounds that fester and bleed
But never heal

But love and happiness
Have forgotten our names
And there's no value left
In love and happiness

-- John Mellencamp

Mood: Kind of like scrambled eggs . . . a bit fried, kinda runny in spots and lumpy in others
Drinking: In the words of my dearly departed almost father-in-law "Drier than a nun's nupe." (More Thurmanisms available upon request)
Listening To: Nick snoring (ain't he the lucky dog)
Hair: I'm not going to lie, it could use a little TLC, at the very least a shampoo.

3 comments:

bryan said...

Please don't tell me that you REALLY believe that Osama bin Laden does not really exist. Are you serious? Give me a break! People knew about this guy way before 9/11, it is not like he just popped up out of nowhere after the twin towers went down. They have known about him for a long time.

Simply Kel said...

As anyone who knows me would tell you, I'm absolutely kidding, in that sarcastic way of Canadian political satire. I can be a little bit slow sometimes (in affairs of the heart most unfortunately) but make no mistake I am a world news junkie, only too well aware that Osama existed long before 9/11. Don't let my rantings here fool you, I can be a serious journalist when called upon.

bryan said...

Glad to hear that Kelli. :) Makes me feel a lot better.