Thursday, April 26, 2007

Cookies

I bought a box of girl guide cookies to support my niece in Brownies. The original kind, not the mint ones. I always liked the original ones best, especially the vanilla flavour, but alas like everything else in the world, Girl Guide cookies have changed :-( They're not what I remember. Still, I'm eating them.

Last night I went to a special event at O'Donaghue's Pub in Chatham. It was the first time I'd been there when there were a lot of other people, but it won't be the last. I may not have been able to find decent housing on that side of the river, but I can certainly find my way over there to have fun. A group of international journalists on a fishing trip had been invited to enjoy an evening of Miramichi hospitality and have an audience with the Premier. Lovely fellows. I had the opportunity to chat with a few of them and get some advice for BnM. One of the men seemed particularly enthusiastic about it, and I came away with his contact information for follow-up. I met the Premier and he told me he loves what we're doing and to keep up the great work. I was a bit surprised he had seen it, but I know we had distributed copies to the delegation, so perhaps it's not such a long shot.

Connie & Paul, Owen Murdoch and the legendary Matilda Murdoch were on hand for an old fashioned Miramichi Kitchen Party that had Premier Graham rolling up his sleeves and playing the spoons right along with them. Raw footage from a documentary film being made for a German audience was shown. Some following a truck driver I know in Blackville, but more from down the Bay with generations of fishermen ice fishing smelts. Afterward the eldest man from the film stood and spoke about their way of life and how it has changed since he first started and also about the Escuminac Disaster. The foreign press asked questions and then Connie & Paul sang the saddest song about the women who must wait for their men at sea.

All in all, not a bad way to spend an evening.

Mood: headachy
Drinking: coffee
Listening To: muted sounds of other people's lives around me
Hair: thick, straight, and stubborn

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

vanilla oreos are the same recipe as the old vanilla girl guide cookies..fyi.

t

Simply Kel said...

fabulous! i've never had a vanilla oreo . . . but now i've a reason to try em.

Jennifer said...

I'm the opposite, I'd like to try the mint, but have only ever seen the chocolate and vanilla. lol.

Anonymous said...

They sell the vanilla & chocolate in the Spring and mint in the Fall.

Simply Kel said...

Good to know. Who knew all I had to do was mention a cookie in order to get all these comments?! LOL