Saturday, April 21, 2007

Support My Walk!

I'm walking for the Diabetes Cure in June, and I want your support. So please give. Click here to pledge!

As you may or may not know, last summer within the span of 3 weeks, two of my nieces were diagnosed with Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes. Jules was 6 and Abby only 4 years old. The girls are both doing well, but diabetes is a disease that will affect every day of their lives until researchers find a cure.

Now, nearly a year later, I'm excited to Walk for the Cure with my family in Moncton on June 3rd. Please pledge your support to Team Keenan online. Every dollar goes a long way to help researchers and give Jules and Abby hope that one day they will beat diabetes. Donations over $20 will receive a tax receipt.

The girls are planning some fundraising activities as well, including a lemonade stand and yard sale. They'll also be doing some door knocking in their neighborhood. Please pass this link on to anyone you know who might be interested in supporting us in the walk. This is, of course, something that is very personal, near and dear to my heart. If you'd like any more information about the Walk or the girls, you may contact me directly by email or in the comments. We'd also love to have people join our team and walk with us. So, if you're up for that, let me know.

You probably know someone who has diabetes, since 246 million people in the world have some form of the disease.

Juvenile (Type 1) diabetes is the most severe form of diabetes as it is unpreventable and strikes infants, children, teens and young adults, leaving them insulin dependent for life and facing a future of uncertainty due to the threat of developing devastating complications.

Fact: Over 70,000 children worldwide are expected to develop type 1 diabetes annually. Canada has the third highest occurrence rate of Type 1 diabetes in children 14 years or younger in the world and the Type 1 diabetes occurrence rate is rising by 3 - 5% per year.

By pledging your support, your money will be going towards finding a cure for this disease by funding some of the most progressive research in the world, most of which is happening right here in Canada.

You can pledge quickly, efficiently and safely through the secure online pledge option. An electronic tax receipt will be emailed directly to you for donations over $20. Help find a cure for diabetes by clicking the following link:

http://www.jdrf.ca/pledge.cfm?id=152520A8-C163-309C-2F5DB99A2630FCC7

If you prefer to make a donation by cheque, please make it out to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and send it to me.

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation is dedicated to finding a cure for diabetes and its complications through the support of research. Since its inception, JDRF has been behind every major breakthrough on the path to finding a cure for this disease. The Walk to Cure Diabetes is a highly successful fundraising and awareness event for diabetes research in Canada thanks to people like you and me and the thousands who will walk in cities across Canada this year.

For a complete list of Walk sites and fundraising tools for the 2007 Walk to Cure Diabetes, visit www.jdrf.ca/walk.

Thank you for your support.

2 comments:

cleanspirit said...

You guys could do a bottle drive. I say that because I have a bunch in my garage that I'm itching to get rid of. I never take them to the recycling place, I just give them to my sister or mom or whoever happens to be taking theirs. But if you want mine, let me know!

Simply Kel said...

This is an idea. I also have a few bottles, not many, but a few.