Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Day Five

It's Day Five of Detox, folks, and I feel mighty fine! I mean MIGHTY fine! It occurs to me as I look out my window at the fog and rain that my arthritis should be flaring in this wacky temperature rise. For many years now that's been my reality. But not today. My joints feel great.

I woke at 5:20, got up at 5:30, went to work by 6am. I've worked an hour and a half, got my day planned and on track, fired off some email and now I break to blog and eat breakfast. I would have eaten earlier, but I'm not allowed to eat and drink at the same time. For me this has probably been the most difficult part of the detox process, well you know, once you get past all the pain and lack of caffeine. You're not supposed to drink anything a half hour before and after you eat. That's pretty hard! But liquids dilute your stomach acids making your food more difficult to digest. So I wake up thirsty. I drink water. I have a cup of peppermint tea. Then I must wait a half hour before breakfast. So here we are, going on 8 and I'm having a banana and an apple. I have never eaten so much fruit in all my life! I chop it up into a bowl and eat it like a salad. This seems to work better for me than biting into a whole apple. The bite-sized pieces are more appealing.

Yesterday at the office T asked how much weight I had lost so far. Everyone said my face looked different, thinner. The weight loss aspect is so far removed from why I'm doing this, I hadn't even given it a thought. I feel different, yes. I feel great for sure. But I haven't noticed any difference in the mirror or in my clothes. And I didn't weigh myself before I started. I just wanted to do something safe and healthy to rid my body of nasty chemicals and toxins. Get totally off the caffeine for a bit to give my body a break, and then try not to get right back up to a pot of coffee a day. I wanted to find a plan I could do a couple of times a year. And I think I've found it all right. What a way to start the summer in six months time! And if I shed some pounds in the process, woo-hoo! Bonus! But for me the focus always has to be health, not weight, because if I start focusing on weight I invite all kinds of nasty things into my life. Maintain good health, stay active, and the rest falls in line.

Now I do wish the fog would lift, I have places to go and things to do!

Mood: chipper
Drinking: nothing
Listening To: buddy upstairs readying to leave early for the second morning in a row, think he's got a job, or a New Year's resolution
Hair: still atop my head

2 comments:

Blackcat35 said...

Good for you.Keep it up.

And I too wish the fog would leave.It is scary stuff.

Simply Kel said...

Thanks! And indeed, it's another foggy morn in the valley :-(