Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mapping the Muse

Did I mention I watched some good movies on the weekend? Saturday was pretty much a full work day, but Saturday evening and the better part of Sunday I took some time off to nourish my soul and chill with some flicks. I finally watched 3:10 to Yuma, Across the Universe and Juno.

When Seth Bullock rode into Deadwood, South Dakota, I realized I am a fan of the western. It was a shock. My dad's a buff, big fan of the old spaghetti-western, anything with Clint Eastwood, and I grew up with these movies, believing I loathed the genre. As it turns out, not so. I actually enjoy the wild west with its honourable gentlemen, outlaws, renegades, saloons, proper ladies and not so proper ladies. I like a good western. My dad saw 3:10 to Yuma before me and declared that it wasn't bad, but not what you'd think. I wasn't sure what that meant. I understand now. Dad likes his westerns uncomplicated with good guys in white stetsons, bad guys in black, plain and simple so you know what to expect. On the other hand, I appreciate more complicated characters and plots. And in 3:10 to Yuma the lines between good guys and bad guys blur. You're not quite sure what to expect, whether good will win out in the end. It's a good movie. I don't often enjoy Russell Crowe, but I liked him here. And I always forget how much I enjoy Christian Bale until I see him in something new. I laughed, I cried, I sat on the edge of my seat. Worth seeing if you haven't already.

I can't say too much about Across the Universe, lest I accidentally leak spoilers and my musical/Beatles obsessed sister who hasn't seen the movie yet reads this post. Across the Universe never played at our local theatre. I so wish it had! It must be absolutely gorgeous on the big screen. This is one of the most visually compelling films I have seen in a long time. With the Beatles catalogue for sounds, you know you're going to be tapping your foot and singing along, which makes for a good time. There were moments when the hair stood up on the back of my neck and I got goosebumps all over my arms. I loved this movie and will buy the dvd so I can watch it repeatedly.

Juno is playing this week at our local theatre. Stacy and I had talked of going but with all the snowstorms in the forecast and happening right now, it's not gonna happen, so I watched it without her. If we do go to the movies we can see something else, or hey, I'm not opposed to seeing Juno still. Ellen Page is fan-freaking-tastic! That's all I got to say about that! I really liked this movie. The dialogue is fabulous! Jason Bateman is so good. And even Jennifer Garner seems to be growing on me. So many good people in this movie. It's this year's Little Miss Sunshine, I think. Interesting soundtrack too. Loved the tunes!

And that's the most I've watched in a good long while. I still have The Wind that Shakes the Barley on tap for my next feeding.

Mood: positive
Drinking: coffee, black, fresh ground, holiday blend, fair trade, organic
Listening To: msn messages arrive
Hair: gaining inches everyday it seems

No comments: