Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Cooking with Abandon

Saturday night after J&J left and I was alone in my new apartment for the first time, I got hungry. I hadn't bought much food because I wanted the opportunity to clean the kitchen from top to bottom before I filled it up with my stuff. So I made myself a peanut butter and jam sandwich. After I spread the peanut butter there was one second where I started to toss the knife into the sink to be washed and get a clean one to scoop out the jam and spread it . . . that's what I've always done . . . it's been drilled into my head since childhood -- ALWAYS use a different utensil for different things so you don't accidentally get bits of something mixed up in jars of something else. For one second I almost automatically did this thing that I've always done . . . and then this devilish grin spread across my face and I used the same knife for both peanut butter and jam. No sandwich ever tasted any better.

Tonight I cooked my first real meal here. Last night I made a tv dinner, but that didn't count. Tonight I cooked pork chops and pasta and vegetables. And I covered everything in garlic, oregano, basil and black pepper. I used spices liberally and sang and smiled and giggled when nobody raged at me for stinking up the house or questioned how I could eat something so stupid. I ate my supper with a glass of pinot noir and relished every bite. Cooking is so good! Eating is better.

Mood: Joyous
Drinking: Nothing right now, tea in the future
Listening To: Law & Order Criminal Intent and the washer
Hair: I've got a scrunchie!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

too funny!...I never would use a new knife, but I do wipe it off with a paper towel. :)

Plus I see you changed your location in your profile. Cool!

Anonymous said...

.......never, I mean NEVER leave crumbs in the butter! Not in Mr. Underhills house!

Simply Kel said...

Dad never cared what we did with the butter because it was on the forbidden food list, one of those disgusting dairy products, ewww! His major concern with butter or margarine was that you not use the same knife and get any into the peanut butter. If we had company and they made sandwiches or anything for their kids, he wouldn't eat out of any of the jars they used again, they were considered contaminated because he couldn't trust that the sandwiches had been prepared properly. It's insane that there are so many Mr. Underhill's houses, lol.