Thursday, May 26, 2005

Lightning in the Forecast

Another wet dreary day on the Tantramar Marshes. What the hell is going on?! Am I not permitted even one bright sunshiny morning walk? Chance of thunder showers later today . . . which could be exciting. Not much shelter here from such things, kinda out in the big wide open. I imagine the weather will be more intense . . . and with my weather phobias and obsessions maybe kinda sorta under control, well who knows what a good dose of lightning will do. Actually, I'm quite happy that the bedroom portion of my place has no windows and electrical outlets. It's open concept, connected to the living room/skylight but still I'll be able to huddle back there and feel pretty secure during a storm I think. At Mom's place I always retreated to the centre of the house to wait out such things. But even there, I never felt quite safe because there were so many electrical outlets.

But really I'm not as crazy paranoid about storms as I have been in recent years. I'm not as shell shocked any more from 9/11, West Nile, SARS, the war in Iraq and the general overwhelming scary state of the world. I'm more focused on things in my immediate vicinity, things I can control, which makes me less nervous in general and less likely to completely freak out during a thunderstorm.

I just heard Nick sigh. I looked around expecting to see him stretched out on the futon, snuffling, in the midst of a dream. Oddly enough, this doesn't make me sad or homesick, but feels comforting. I suspect it wasn't Nick I heard . . . but perhaps Mickey or Muffin or Dusty. It's good to have visitors.

Mood: arthritically challenged
Drinking: Coffee
Listening To: road sounds (this is a very busy street)
Hair: I've loving my scrunchie!

No comments: