Monday, September 18, 2006

Have A Drink On Me

Eyes opened at 7:02 this morning (which makes it actually more 6:40'ish), feet hit the floor at 7:07. The thing about having the only visible clock in your bedroom set a good 20 minutes fast is that you're never actually certain what time it is and I tend to err on the cautious side choosing to believe I'm only 10 minutes ahead rather than a half hour. The great thing about not setting the clock properly is that by the time I get back upstairs after stumbling down to make coffee, wash my face and all that morning routine, the time is still the same as when I got up. Today when I turned on the computer it was 7:02. Not too shabby. But I actually haven't purposely set my clock ahead, the minutes button is broken on this ancient beast, so I just set it to the closest hour and ended up a good 20-30 minutes fast. I don't mind.

What is really freaking me out about this meatless diet I'm on is the morning. I'm actually waking up thirsty and along with my usual cup of coffee, the first thing into my system is water and fruit. This is good! Anyone who knows me knows that breakfast is something I've struggled with all my life. I've always been a single meal per day type of gal. This past year I've been really focusing on incorporating breakfast into my life though. Intellectually, I know how important it is to my health. Physically, I've always been repulsed. Breakfast, quite simply, has always made me a little sick. I would have to be up and around and have consumed a pot of coffee before I could eat. This year I've been forcing the issue, force-feeding myself in the morning (when I remembered to do so), but this morning I woke up with such a thirst (drinking more water too, and the more I get, the more I seem to want) that before I even had coffee I bit into a plum. I ate a plum because I really really wanted one, and I loved every minute of it. This mightn't seem like much, but trust me, this is one huge freaking deal! BEFORE COFFEE! I ate breakfast, before having coffee. I don't know that this has ever happened before. I certainly don't remember a time. I can tell you are not as excited about this development as I am, but that's all right.

Election day in New Brunswick. I am apathetic but intend to exercise my right to vote anyway. Lots on tap for this foggy grey day. I've already got a load of clothes in the washer and another in the dryer. I am intent on doing something that I can cross off my list today. I won't tell you what just yet, but let you be tres surprised when I pull it off later.

I've been reading Bill Allin's blog religiously since first being introduced to it and him and his wife last week by chance. Everyday he writes something profound, something that seems to leap off the screen and slap me upside the head. "Treasure the people who acknowledge your strengths," he wrote yesterday. And it's so true. Everyone's always so worried about what everyone else thinks, so hard on themselves because of this constant worry of being judged. Meanwhile, the kind of people who will judge you simply aren't worth your energy. I like this.

And with that, I'm off! Much to do.

Mood: energized
Drinking: coffee with soy (soon to be replaced by a rice milk alternative as the experiment continues)
Listening To: My Head Sounds Like That, Peter Gabriel
Hair: prepping to go a shade lighter by nightfall

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Imagine that. You are eating breakfast before coffee and I am drinking coffee and skipping breakfast! Who would have thunk it?

Speaking of your list...You'll be happy to hear that Aunt Valerie absolutely hated The DaVinci Code! She was like "Just say it already!" I said "OMG! Kellie's going to love hearing this." Apparently Hayward says it's the best book he's ever read. Valerie doesn't understand how that could be true.

Simply Kel said...

We are turning ass-backward for sure. I certainly would never have thought I would be needing, enjoying, breakfast before coffee. Bizarre times indeed.

I'm not kidding, The DaVinci Code is one of the worst books ever written. I am not the only one who thinks this. Is Jason reading it yet? I left him the copy didn't I? I suppose he doesn't have time . . .