Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Last Man Standing

SOMEDAY JUST MIGHT BE TONIGHT

Playing king of the mountain on a dead end street
At the edge of the block that's where we cut our teeth
The world was trying to sweep us off our feet
I'd run home crying with cut up knees
"It's alright," Mama said. "It's alright."
Now nothing's changed, it never will
Learn to swallow defeat like a bitter pill
Remember the story about Jack 'n' Jill
They ended up driving in a Coupe de Ville
You don't know when your ship will arrive

Don't give up, don't give in
Stand and fight, you just might win
When the ride gets rough
Hold on tight
Someday just might be tonight

You're the kind that goes swimming with a raincoat on
Who's to say if you're right or wrong
Let me know when you figured it out
Just don't go drowning in a shadow of doubt
Don't let the bastards make up your mind

Don't give up, don't give in
Stand and fight, you just might win
When the ride gets rough
Hold on tight
Someday just might be tonight

You may never find a treasure that's been washed up on the beach
Heaven won't be waiting for you walking down these city streets
Remember Mama's Band Aids on your scabby knees
They had to bleed for little victories

Don't give up, don't give in
Stand and fight, you just might win
When the ride gets rough
Hold on tight
Someday just might be tonight
Don't give up, don't give in
You never know when the ship will come in
When the ride gets rough
Hold on tight
'Cause someday just might be tonight

-- Bon Jovi

Thanks to everyone who wrote and expressed their concern over my last post. I just needed to vent. Really, I am okay now. Mostly I've got my relationship with my parents all figured out, I know how to deal on a day to day basis . . . so occasionally I'm surprised when some old hurt surfaces out of nowhere to knock me on my butt. That's what happened. I dealt with it the only way I know how -- which is to get it outta ya! -- involving plenty of ranting, some cursing, tears, writing, and so on . . . but well worth the peace of mind at the end. Bygones!

In other stuff . . .

. . . I finally went to Carol's house for a sleepover! Something we've been trying to put together for literally months. Had a fantastic time! I drank too much wine (and RUM!), ate a ton of chicken fingers, lost more games than a person can admit to and still keep any self-esteem, and stayed up all night until 5 am talking. God, you gotta love some good quality girl time! We'll have to try and do it again sometime before I move.

. . . And speaking of moving, I told my boss I'm moving to Sackville to go back to university part-time (maybe work on a degree in English) and he was super supportive just as I knew he would be :-) So, it's kind of official now, I've got the green light. I've told everyone. I've got a plan. A date. WOW! It freaks me out! I'm excited but terrified at the same time. But I know any reluctance I might have to take this step, any nervousness or fear, just represents growth and change, which is always good stuff. I definitely know I'm stagnating here! So a little growth can only be good.

. . . I was completely devastated when I heard about Hunter S. Thompson's suicide, really depressed for a few days, took it pretty hard. I enjoyed him so much! It's terrible to see his life end in that way. It's so damn Hemingway! I just never thought he'd go out that way. I read an interview with a neighbor who said he was shocked this had happened. He said it would've been less shocking if Hunter had shot him rather than himself. That gave me a little bit of a smile. So true.

. . . I'm going to Fredericton next week for a literary event. I've been asked to participate in a reading at the Fredericton Public Library on Wednesday night. I'm psyched!! But again, terrified!! I'll be reading with three or four other writers, who all have books published already -- in some cases, multiple books published. So, I consider this to be a great honour and unique opportunity. It's exciting, my first real reading. I'm going to read one of my short stories called The Lost. It's the only story I have that I consider to be finished. I made some edits to it about a month ago and that's it, I really think it's done, I don't need to edit again. Hopefully, the audience will enjoy it and my voice will be strong.

. . . I attended the first annual Keenan Oscar Party Sunday night at my sister's house and came away with top honours for guessing the most award winners correctly. I think I got 13 right with the next best guesser getting 11 correct. Something like that. My award is a Pink Panther Bobble Head trophy that I must keep all year and present to the winner at the ceremony next year. I was a bit disappointed by the awards. I wanted The Aviator and/or Scorcese to get something. I had thought there would be more of a split in the top categories with Marty getting Director, Clint's movie getting Picture, or vice versa . . . but Million Dollar Baby ruled the night . . . and even guessing those categories wrong . . . I too ruled the night! Victory is mine! :-)

. . . My general apathy toward questionable meat and dairy products turned ugly earlier this week when I developed a rather mild case of food poisoning after eating a rancid omelet. I really need to pay more attention to expiry dates and how things look and smell. Stacy has been telling me that for quite some time and frankly is shocked I don't poison myself more often. Perhaps it is time to slow down and smell the milk.

. . . I'm meeting with my writing support group on Friday. I sent them about seven pages of complete first draft, a few scenes with a new character in my novel. Her name is Denise and she's one of Callum's girlfriends after his wife leaves him. Terribly frightening to send crap off that is so rough, I've never gave them anything this early into development before. So it will be interesting to see what they say. On the other hand it's great that I trust them enough to be this vulnerable.

And that's all for now, folks!

Mood: A little sleepy
Drinking: Only one glass of wine officer, I swear!
Listening To: Bon Jovi of course
Hair: The very high top-of-the-head ponytail

No comments: