Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Shall I Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?

A few years ago I went to a psychic and got a reading. I've gone to a few psychics before, but this one really seemed to know his stuff. Every now and then I take a look at my notes from that reading to see if anything else he predicted has come true (yes, lots of stuff has come true!) or where I am now in relation to that reading. I should probably go get it done again because it has been a few years. Anyway, one of the things he stressed with me was that I need to pay attention to my dreams. I know, that's a common thing for psychics to say but we discussed it in more detail than that with special regard to my writing and so on. Last night I read over my notes and was reminded that I really haven't been paying much attention to my dreams lately. At the time he gave me an affirmation to repeat every night before going to sleep -- "My dreams are vivid and I remember every detail. I understand the meaning of my dreams."

Last night I said this affirmation for the first time in a very long time. I went to sleep and I dreamed.

I dreamed Stacy and I went to Toronto to see U2. It was exciting! I didn't actually get to see any of the city in my dream though, didn't get to see anyone I know. The dream started outside the venue for the event. We were lined up with a bunch of other people waiting to get in. The doors opened and we were ushered into a stairwell to continue to wait. I could see my breath, the air was damp. There weren't that many of us waiting, maybe 20 people, but security was tight with gates and big no-nonsense guards. There were many entrances to the place and we had picked an obscure one in hopes of getting closer to the show.

The guards lowered the gates and we ran in the door to jockey for a good spot. Stacy and I broke away from the pack and led the way down a long hallway, the first to turn the corner and enter the room where they would perform. I skidded to a stop, shocked by the size of the place. It wasn't any bigger than a small conference room in a hotel with seating for maybe a hundred people. There was no stage but an area of the floor had been left clear and a single chrome microphone stand stood there without any amp, speakers, drums, guitars, signage . . . nothing to indicate that a performance was forthcoming. The stage area of the floor was roped off with thin yellow rope tied to orange cones. There were a few round tables set up for dinner surrounding the roped off area and then some chairs lined up like for a high school play. The tables were reserved for VIP ticket holders. I checked our tickets and saw they said "Standing Room Only."

Behind the stage area of the floor was a doorway covered with a velvet burgundy coloured curtain. The curtain heaved like it was sighing, breathing in and out on a gentle breeze. Stacy and I positioned ourselves at the rope straining to be as close to the microphone as possible. The other people we had waited outside with took their seats at the tables, in the chairs or standing beside us. Nobody else came in, there were no other groups waiting at other entrances. This excited me because if nobody else came we'd not only have the best view but chances were pretty good we'd all get to chat with the band and get autographs and everything before the evening was over.

The curtain sighed and I saw that the doorway opened onto a little room. Bono was pacing, talking to the Edge who was sitting on a stone bench. I couldn't believe they were really there! And so close I could say hello if I wanted. I was starting to freak out from the excitement and anticipation of the whole thing. I looked around the room and there were only about a dozen of us waiting for the show. Some people had left because it wasn't turning out to be what they had anticipated.

At precisely 7pm according to the silver digital watch on my wrist, Bono parted the curtain and entered the room. Edge stayed on the bench. Bono walked over to us, by this time there were only about six of us standing by the rope. He walked up to us and said he was sorry but the show was cancelled due to a lack of interest. "But no!" I said. "We came all this way!"

The Bono in my dream was not at all like what I imagine Bono to be like in real life . . . I mean with all of his humanitarian efforts and the lyrics he writes, all the interviews I've seen, all the articles I've read . . . nothing prepared me for this Bono. He looked like Bono mind you, but he didn't act like any Bono I've ever heard tell of anywhere . . . although he was upset too that hardly anyone showed up for the show.

The six of us begged and pleaded, just a few songs, PLEASE!! But he was having none of it. They weren't going to play for free to an audience of six, the rest of the band had already gone back to the hotel, the show was over and we had to leave. He turned and started to walk away. I reached out and grabbed his leather jacket on the arm. He turned back to me shaking my hand from his sleeve. "What now!?" he demanded. I told him he didn't understand, we had flown all the way in from New Brunswick just to see U2 perform. He shrugged and said that wasn't his problem. Everyone had left by then, it was just me and Stacy and Bono standing in an empty conference room . . . and I wouldn't give up. "But do you know where New Brunswick is?" I asked. "It's really far, and I came all this way spent all this money that I could've used for so many other things, just so I could see you guys." But he wouldn't budge . . . and he wasn't very sympathetic. He had come a long way too, he said, and now he wouldn't be paid.

As I creeped to consciousness my argument with Bono continued, even Stacy left. He couldn't see my side, could only think of his own interests. It was very odd . . . and not at all realistic.

But having this dream on the night when I affirmed that my dreams would be vivid and I would understand them, after reading the psychic's notes and knowing I'm supposed to pay attention to my dreams . . . it got me thinking . . . maybe I'm not supposed to go to Toronto to see U2. Maybe it's going to be cancelled and I'll be out money that I can't really afford to be out. Because I'll have to book flights . . . and getting out of flights, getting a refund on airfare, is pretty much impossible when you're taking the cheapest route. As anyone who knows me knows, I am a big believer in the power of the universe . . . I see signs and I listen to them . . . I try not to enforce my own will, because it's impossible anyway, nothing will work out like you plan if the power of the universe wants something else to happen. Things will just get screwed up if you don't listen and try to mess with the plan. I learned this lesson the hard way, but I know it to be true now.

Tickets go on sale this weekend, and now I don't know what to do. How important is this concert to me in the great scheme of things when I'm looking at a new apartment next month and more travel in general within the province . . . yet no anticipated increase in income? Maybe it's unrealistic to plan this trip? Maybe this dream is the sign and I need to listen?

Mood: Uncertain
Drinking: the scent of a feng shui candle (metal)
Listening To: Should I Stay or Should I Go, The Clash
Hair: This is an interesting new look for me -- the high ponytail on the left side of my head only, rather than centred. Hmmm . . . I don't think I'd wear it out in public.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well at least you didn't already book a flight on JETSGO.

Simply Kel said...

Very true! And since the dismantling of Jetsgo domestic flight costs are on the rise . . . I'm thinking this is not my year to see Bono afterall . . . the finances just aren't in place. DAMN!

Anonymous said...

well, still, if you change your mind, you're still welcome to stay at casataian.

p.s. i want to see a pic of you with the long hair.