Wednesday, April 19, 2006

More Songs

After yesterday's post about the song I got to thinking about other songs. I've had a lot of boyfriends, a surprising number really when you consider that I've been out of the game for so long that many of my friends (the writerly ones anyway) have never known me to have boyfriend. Lots of boys and yet I've wracked my brain and come up with only two songs (Kevin and I had an "our song" but I'll write more about that some other day), makes me wonder what's up with that? What does it mean? If anything.

So I've been thinking about the specific moments when boyfriends and I picked a song, or rather songs picked us, and the simple explanation would seem to be that songs find couples at the precise moment when they fall in love. So I've got a song with the big teenage love of my life and another song with the only guy I've ever loved in my adult life. All of which happened a really long time ago, so it's a little sad. But an interesting theory. There are songs that remind me of different guys -- The Outfield's Your Love, Dwight Yoakham's Try Not to Look So Pretty, anything by Bob Dillion, I Would Walk 500 Miles, You Must Love Me, etc. Lots of tunes take me to different places in my memories with various guys . . . but only two "our song"s. In retrospect I'm a little disappointed that there aren't more songs, that nobody else mattered that much, because you know I invested a lot of time with some of these guys, you kinda expect more.

Mood: allergized
Drinking: earl grey, hot
Listening To: infinity
Hair: outrageous

No comments: