Sunday, March 16, 2008

Who Wants to Live Forever

I wrote 1841 words on a new story last week. It probably doesn't seem like a lot, but for me, on a personal story, not related to BnM, this is pretty major. It's all because I took a good friend's advice and committed to writing 10 new words a day on something personal. Just 10. I mean what kind of a wimpy writer am I if I can't jot down 10 new words in the run of a day, right?

But 10 leads to 20 and then 100 and before I know it I've laid down a couple hundred. My best day was the first one, last Sunday, I ran 413. My worst day was the crazy runaround day, Tuesday, when I really really did not want to write anything at all but the idea that I would wimp out on 10 words made it impossible to go to bed without doing them, and I wrote 84.

None of this writing is even close to first draft, it's pre-writing as DB would say. But it's something. And it's a subject I've been all around poking at in the past 8 years or so but never tackled right head on like this before, which is kind of exciting and scary all at the same time. So today is Sunday and Week 2 of my three-week contract with my wellness buddy begins today.

So here is my commitment for this week March 16-22:

  1. I will eat breakfast everyday.
  2. I will consume 1200-1550 calories per day. (I’ll track numbers.)
  3. I will walk at least 7500 steps everyday.
  4. I will strength exercise for at least 15 minutes on at least 3 different days this week.
  5. I will write at least 10 words on my play or other personal creative writing everyday.
  6. I will read at least one page out of a book for pleasure everyday.
  7. I will use my netipot everyday.


I added some steps and more time to exercise, added an extra step to remember to use my netipot because it is doing absolute miracles for my sinuses, but other than that I'm not messing with a good thing. I'm keeping my commitment to just 10 words, because 10 is small enough to get me started, and getting started is the hardest part.

Mood: thrilled
Drinking: coffee, did i accidentally buy decaf?
Listening To: sunset grill, don henley
Hair: thinking about razoring the ends . . . just the ends

No comments: