Friday, October 08, 2004

Flexing my Writing muscles . . .

When I used to write creatively everyday, working on short stories and novels, I would begin the day with an excercise to get my brain cells into the creative spirit. Sometimes I'd write a little essay, but more often than not I would write cheesy little pieces of poetry. As I try to reconnect to my novel and the character of Callum I've been looking through a lot of my old notes and writing to reacquaint myself with everything I've already got down on that story. But I'm also finding some other things too . . . not necessarily great things, lol, but things I forgot I wrote. Here are a couple of poems I wrote a few years ago as warm-up exercises for a day of writing.

Words, sometimes
Rapidly flowing like a waterfall.
I'm unable to keep up. Sometimes
Trickling like a small brook,
Ignoring my thirst,
Nowhere to be found.
Gone to dust.

__________________________________________________

Memories,
worn like layers of heavy clothing
on a hot humid day,

immobilise,
paralyse, and smother. Peel the painful
layers in analysis;

shed
the black mourning suit in hypnosis;
the mothball scent

remains,
soaked into the very skin of the body
laid bare — naked and

frozen.
Absorb harmful UV rays, scorch the
aching tissue until it

blisters,
injured cells flake and scatter on the
wind. Skinned, raw meat and

nerves
exposed glisten, life's sweet nectar
drips forming a drowning

pool
on the ground. Do you sit unmoving,
stretching and embracing the

last
moments of tormented existence? Do
you run free for mere seconds,

rigor
mortis stopping you cold? SAVE YOURSELF!
Twist the body tightly into a

living
tourniquet, choke the spurting flow. No
need to gather the wool, memories

hold—
imprisoned in DNA.

__________________________________________________


Dark warrior pass me by,
pretend we are strangers
and have never known love.

Drawn to my white light
like a moth from the dark,
you have enjoyed sucking

my strength, extinguishing
my flame, turning my heart
to black stone. Do not

circle me, lone wolf, for
I know you are near, better
to slink in the shadows

than be recognised. My
brightness is too powerful
now, it overwhelms your brown

eyes. I am no longer damaged
or damageable. So, give me wide
berth for I can destroy you if

I desire. I have peered below
your shallow hide and seen the
soul living within that hollow

frame. And dark warrior I
must warn you —
I know your name.

Mood: surprisingly joyous
Drinking: diet pepsi
Listening To: Dry the Rain, The Beta Band
Hair: wet

2 comments:

Mr Murray said...

As a New Brunwicker - living in Italy - I keep coming across your blog. thought I'd just leave a note to let you know I'm reading from time to time. I'm having trouble getting words into mine. But your writing discipline is giving me hope.

Simply Kel said...

I'm glad to be giving someone hope :-) I have lapses without posting . . . terrible lapses. I think the key is to just start back in on it, no matter how long you've let it go. I also don't worry so much about crafting essays anymore, I just post whatever comes into my head. Some of it is trash, but eventually, you collect a body of essays, I think. Anyway, thanks for stopping by, I'll buzz by your blog soon.