Thursday, May 17, 2007

Snuffleupagus

The tightness in my sinuses disappeared and I awoke to a runny nose and much sneezing. Still some pain around my eyes, but mostly just over my right eye, so I think it's more migraine than sinus related. The dam has broken! Let the drainage begin!

So last night I made my salsa (tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, garlic, lime juice, cayenne) and enjoyed about two and a half cups of the zesty wonder with some baked Tostitos tortilla scoops with a smidgen of low-fat mozza melted over them in the microwave accompanied of course by a glass of red wine and then another glass. Then I had some dark chocolate, dates and almonds. I gorged myself! And it was wonderful. All those sinful feelings when you eat a good cheesecake with none of the empty calories. When I make my own salsa I don't put anything sweet in it, no sugar, I like it spicier and tangier, just the fruit & veggies. So a whopping big bowl full is only 115 calories, no fat, lots of vitamins!

Those baked Tostitos are quite the find too. I had a full plate and then another half plate and it was only 314 calories, 8 grams of fat. When you take into account that I ate this meal as supper and snack all in one and I planned for it earlier in the day making good low-cal choices for breakfast (a bowl of cereal) and lunch (turkey sandwich). I finished the day off at only 1,245 calories total. If you consume less than 1,200 calories per day your body goes into starvation mode (where I've been most of my life) and stores every bit of fat it gets. At 1,245 my body feels relaxed and unworried about starvation, so it burns calories and fat rather than storing. If I eat between 1,200 and 1,550 calories per day I will gradually lose weight because I'm consistently consuming less than what I'm burning. And if I choose veggies, whole grains, lean meats, etc. these all have less calories, which means I can eat tonnes and feel fabulous and my body will just naturally return to its best weight.

And what do all these figures mean besides a stunning display of my ability to embrace numbers? I can totally pig out and satisfy those pesky periodical cravings and still be healthy and wise! (Not wealthy so much, because well, you know, some of the healthy things like the fat-free tasty turkey luncheon meat I love cost more than the what's-in-this-anyway regular variety.)

So there you have it! We now return you to your regular broadcast. Snuffy out!

Mood: optimistic
Drinking: water, cold coffee
Listening To: my refrigerator humming quite loudly, perhaps it's the death rattle
Hair: greasy

No comments: