Sunday, September 12, 2004

Date Night

Last night was Date Night! And no, that doesn't mean what you probably think it means. Date Night happens when my best friend and I get together and do something. Actually, it doesn't even have to be at night, sometimes we start in the morning and go the whole day. But yesterday was not one of those days. (Exhausting! Can't do those things too often.)

I met up with Stacy at her work around 4 pm. While she finished up I surfed the web on the high-speed connection getting the latest scoop on Jacob Hoggard from message boards. Anyone else devastated by his departure from Canadian Idol? Man!! I thought for sure it would be down to a showdown between him and Kalan. I thought Kalan would probably win in the end but that the voting would be pretty intense and close. I'll be keeping my eyes out for Jacob and his band Hedley. I think they'll go far. I downloaded a bunch of clips from the show and made a Jacob CD for Stacy that I gave her yesterday.

Anyway, we left around 5:30 and headed to Newcastle to pick up some oil for Stacy's boyfriend. I was expecting a couple of cases of litre containers, but of course it ended up being big ass drums. Stacy nearly threw out her back lifting them into the trunk. I probably should have helped, huh? ;-) Yeah, well anyway, then we went to one of our favourite shopping places --- The Liquor Store! Going to the liquor store for me and Stacy is almost as good as an office supplies or book store, we can go in and stay forever, looking at everything, deciding what to try. I'm on a big red wine kick lately. So, I'm always trying different blends from different countries. Stacy's on a margarita and fruity drink kick so she's always looking for new mixers and coolers to try. Last night we were in a hurry though, so I just grabbed a bottle of Bordeaux I knew I liked and she got some coolers and we were out of there without browsing too much.

Off to Jungle Jim's for supper. We're both on this Tex-Mex kick since we went to Moncton in the spring and had the best Tex-Mex food at Lone Star. So, we ordered the nachos with beef and margaritas. Very good! Jungle Jim's is the place to go on the river for tex-mex and margaritas. And we should know, because we've been EVERYWHERE in search of the best margarita. Saddlers has the best one, by the way, but no nachos on the menu. A bit too many jalepenos for my liking at Jungle Jim's, but hey that's easily fixed the next time I order.

After supper we went shopping in the mall, looking for a watch for Stacy. She's allergic to metals so she needs a watch made entirely of plastic or wrapped in fabric or something so no metal touches her skin. Needless to say this is challenging and she hasn't had a watch in awhile. We couldn't find any last night.

A Stacy/Kellie excursion would not be complete without buying something so we decided to head over to Rogers Video and see what dvds were on sale. JACKPOT! We hit the 2 for $15 sale! Yay! Stacy bought 4 newer releases while I caught up with some oldies but goodies. I got Four Weddings & A Funeral with Hugh Grant, Better Off Dead with John Cusack, Heathers (CLASSIC!!) with Winona Ryder and Christian Slater (the original trench coat boy!) and then I got an Italian film called Respiro that won a bunch of awards and looked interesting. I was pretty excited about finding Better Off Dead and Heathers. I'm a DVD junkie. I love the extra features! I rarely bought VHS tapes but with DVDs I buy them constantly. I think it's worse than books . . . and that's really saying something.

So after the shopping spree it was time to get to the point of our little outing and head to the movie theatre. We had some difficulty deciding between Wicker Park and Without a Paddle. Both had mixed reviews from reviewers and people we knew. But finally we went with Wicker Park because it started earlier and went into it with no expectations whatsoever. People said it was confusing, all the shifting from past to present. I don't know what that was all about, the shifts were really smooth and not at all confusing. I mean really they were quite linear and standard, nothing out of left field at all. Very weird that people would find it confusing. Pulp Fiction was 100 times more confusing because the order of the story wasn't chronological and I didn't find Pulp Fiction confusing at all. LOL Another comment people had made about the film was that it was stupid, one telephone call could have cleared up the whole mess. Watching it though, calls were made, other calls were attempted, it was quite logical why they never connected. Another comment I heard was that you didn't know what was going on until the end, edge of the seat sort of a good confusion. But I didn't find that either. There was no big reveal at the end. All in all, it was a pretty good movie, NOBODY does being in love like Josh Hartnett! I also heard he slept through the whole thing without any emotion, which I completely disagree with. I found his character to be very believable and expressive. And I'm not the biggest Josh Hartnett fan in the world or anything like that. If you were on the fence about going to see this, I say go for it. It was a good time.

I got home around 11:30, poured a glass of wine and popped in Heathers. I haven't seen it in awhile. Forgot how funny it was. Classic!

Mood: Lazy
Listening to: Jonny Lang, "Red Light"
Drinking: black coffee
Hair: strawberry blonde

No comments: