Saturday, September 03, 2005

Saturday Six #73

From Patrick's Place, play if you wish.

1. What is the price of gas at your regular station? Have you made any changes to holiday plans because of gas prices?

I have no idea, as I don't drive. It's pretty high I would suspect. I have no concept of gas though. I can't relate. And I don't want to relate. People often wonder why I don't drive, especially given my rural living conditions when I was in Miramichi. Certainly growing up there as a kid I associated driving with independence, the freedom to move from point A to point B. But girls didn't generally run out and get their license at 16 back then, neither did boys for that matter. Cars were huge luxury items you had to buy and maintain on your own without Mommy and Daddy's money. It just wasn't happening until after high school, until full-time employment. Still, I had my permit the summer I graduated, before I moved to Toronto. I just never got around to taking the driving test. When I moved I soon realised you didn't need to drive to have independence and freedom to move from point A to point B . . . in fact, poor people like me, usually couldn't afford a vehicle but could still get where they needed to go just fine. In Toronto, getting somewhere using public transit was often a helluva lot easier than the traffic and parking hassle of a vehicle. I got my permit again when I moved home. I had a full-time job and a boyfriend, who had a car, frequently drank too much and needed a sober girlfriend to drive him home. Within weeks of getting my permit I moved back to Toronto and public transit. Never got it again. In the beginning I had a phobia -- If I get my permit, I'll move to Toronto and I really don't want to go back right now. Then I didn't want to get my license just for spite -- who wants to spend their life hauling around drunken boyfriend and band of merry men? But now it's more a matter of responsibility I think. I don't want to own a car, can't afford to own a car. I don't want the distraction of being the driver, not able to really see everything out all the windows on the road trip. Maybe someday, but not now. So why not just have a license? To be able to drive just in case? . . . Well, I can drive, just in case. It might not be legal but I can do it. Why bother with the formality, when I'm only going to use it in case of emergencies? Without a license I'm never on the list of possible sober drivers. It takes me out of the running for many potential responsibilities . . . and that suits me just fine.

2. Some people feel that the song that was #1 when they were born somehow helps shape their life. Which song was #1 when you were born, according to this site. Do you think it relates to your life at all?

Number One on the U.S. charts the day I was born -- The Beatles, Get Back. I don't feel like this song has helped shape my life really, but I have overcome some issues with regard to getting "back to where you once belonged." Soooo, maybe there is something to this theory.

3. Take this quiz: Which child does it say you are? Is it correct about your birth order?
You Are Likely a Third Born

At your darkest moments, you feel vulnerable.
At work and school, you do best when you're comparing things.
When you love someone, you tend to like to please them.

In friendship, you are loyal to one person.
Your ideal careers are: sales, police officer, newspaper reporter, inventor, poet, and animal trainer.
You will leave your mark on the world with inventions, poetry, and inspiration.


Not correct, as I am first born . . . yet . . . newspaper reporter, vulnerable moments, pleasing the loved one etc. ring somewhat true.

4. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #61 from De: What animal do you equate your spirit with and why? (This site may be helpful.)

Many years ago I was shown in a dream that the wolf is my totem. And reading this description, it would seem to be true.

5. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #62 from Psychfun: If you had to describe your personality as a nut (as in the eatable kind) what nut would you be and why?

Hazelnut. Prickly outer shell. Rich full flavour inside.

6. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #63 from Chris: Who knows the "real" you better - - your real world friends or your blog readers?

Probably the real world, which makes up a lot of my blog readers, but I'm tempted to say neither because I keep a lot to myself.

No comments: