Sunday, June 12, 2005

Brother Down

Watched Seventh Heaven. Yes, the acting sucks! Yes, the plotlines are so obviously lessons that it's sickening! Still, I watch for some reason. It was suppertime, I like to eat and watch tv at the same time, there was nothing else on . . . you know the drill. Anyway, in this episode there's a moment when Lucy's husband, Kevin, refers to Simon as his brother -- not brother-in-law, but brother -- and explains to a friend of Simon's that this is the sort of close-knit family they have. And the friend remarked something about he'd heard of families that close but never seen one before or something like that.

This got me thinking about my own family. I come from this kind of close-knit family. No, things are not perfect, we're far from the stereo-typical perfect tv family. We fight . . . sometimes in the most heinous and vicious ways (with shoes in hand :-) My parents aren't the perfect parents I might've picked for myself if given the choice . . . but still, I do think of my brothers-in-law more like brothers than not. And I'm always somewhat surprised when I'm reminded that my adopted brother wasn't always a part of the family, that he has other family besides us. Some of the best times of my life have been shared with my sisters. I've monopolized more of my parents time than one child should ever be allowed. I can't imagine going through life without my family. I tell them everything!! Whatever do people do that don't have that? I can't even imagine.

This afternoon I wrote two articles in a series and emailed off a proposal to a newspaper to run them . . . Yes, I'm seeking freelance work to offset my newer higher cost of living. If you hear of anything, please let me know. I'm available for writing, editing, public speaking, and anything else you think I might excel at.

Mood: trying not to be melancholy . . . but failing desperately
Drinking: nothing, just had a glass of wine with dinner
Listening To: Luba, Every Time I See Your Picture
Hair: Surprisingly silky

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey! I love 7th Heaven! I've watched it since it came on. I don't care if sometimes the plot is a bit obvious.....it just makes me happy. Sometimes I'll even watch the really old reruns on the satellite. Jason cannot stand Lucy's husband...the way he talks,etc...

Simply Kel said...

Oh Kevin is a hotty! I like it when Matt pops by . . . I'm so boy crazy!

Anonymous said...

fergod'ssake, you have to watch season 1 of DEADWOOD before you watch another episode of 7th heaven.
please.

ps i got your "green grass running water" book recommendaion out of the liberry.. haven't started yet..

- tt in toronto

Simply Kel said...

I know, I know, what can I say I'm a sucker for the Sunday night conservative kinda religious sugar-coated family drama. Nah! You know me, I'm just addicted to tv, I'll watch anything! But I'll add Deadwood to my radar and see if it pops up anywhere. I laughed my guts out over Green Grass, I hope you do too. Enjoy!