Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Twenty years, Batman!

I have to go to the university today and register for my class. So part of the process is actually to apply to be a part-time student, which I haven't done yet and apparently it's just a paperwork formality that I can do right while I'm there giving them the money. But nevertheless I had to write a letter of intent to submit with my application.

So I was writing that I had graduated from a small NB high school x amount of years ago . . . and I started counting up how long it has been to fill in the blank . . . and it's been almost 20 years!! 20 years! Wow! That's intense. I remember when my mom went to her 20 year reunion . . . and it doesn't seem that long ago. And really it wasn't that long ago, I was out of high school and on to Ryerson living my own life such as it was. And she didn't seem . . . well . . . how to put this politely . . . she didn't seem . . . as young as I am!

I mean here I am just getting my first completely on my own apartment and getting ready to take classes at the university, just feeling like I'm getting myself together . . . and now I have to deal with the idea that I'm old too!

Yes, I know, this happens every year at this time. It's my inevitable surreal age crises. But somehow this year it seems even more surreal. I'm sitting here looking out at the backyard, at that crazy man who can't stop mowing his lawn, at the partridge or pheasant or whatever the hell that humungous bird is that lives behind the garage, at the paved driveway and the field next door . . . and I'm blown away by how crazy it is that I am here in a loft/living/bed room in a beautiful old house and this is my home and this is my life now. Very surreal all of a sudden and I'm left wondering how the hell this happened? How did I get here? Is it real? Is this really my life? And who am I in it?

Mood: Creaky
Drinking: My last cuppa tea . . . there is no more . . . til I go to the store! (Hey, that kinda rhymes!)
Listening To: that damn lawnmower again . . . honest to God!! It used to be you'd get some peace at least when it was raining, but lately . . .
Hair: I have some colour . . . only one box and I'm not sure it's enough . . . a bit more reddish brown than usual . . . but I might chance it later

No comments: