Friday, June 10, 2005

Reviewing my DVD Collection

Since I'm always watching them anyway, I thought why not review my DVD collection while I'm at it. I gave myself a list of criteria and each week or so I'll watch a movie from my collection and fill in my responses. So I picked one at random to begin with and tonight I'm watching . . .

Party Monster (2003)
Written & Directed by Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato
Based on the book "Disco Bloodbath" by James St. James


Cast (in credits order)
Seth Green .... James
Macaulay Culkin .... Michael
Diana Scarwid .... Elke
Chloƫ Sevigny .... Gitsie
Dillon Woolley .... Young James
Marilyn Manson .... Christina
Dylan McDermott .... Peter Gatien
Mia Kirshner .... Natasha
Wilmer Valderrama .... Keoki
Elliot Kriss .... Cabbie
Natasha Lyonne .... Brooke
Janis Dardaris .... TV Reporter
Daniel Franzese .... The Rat/Dallas MC
Wilson Cruz .... Angel
Manny Perez .... Johnny
Justin Hagan .... Freez
Brendan O'Malley .... Young Michael
Phillip Knasiak .... Young Wrestler
John Summerour .... Rodney
John Stamos .... Talk Show Host
Michael Kaycheck .... Ben
Steven Marcus .... Bill
rest of cast listed alphabetically:
Joey Gray .... Karl (uncredited)
Amanda Lepore .... Herself (uncredited)
Walt Paper .... Himself (uncredited)
Richie Rich .... Herself (uncredited)
James Sheldon .... Male Geisha (uncredited)
Bil Slavin .... Clara the carefree chicken (uncredited)

When & Why Did I buy this movie?
I bought this movie maybe late last summer or in the fall at Rogers Video in Miramichi. It was previously viewed, not new, so I'm thinking I probably got it as part of a 2 for $15 deal. When I saw it on the shelf I snatched it up because this was one of those movies I really wanted to see that never came to a theatre near me. I don't think it did much at the box office but I had seen excerpts on some talk show & thought it looked good. For those unfamiliar with this movie, dubbed the wildest true story ever told, it's about the New York club scene in the 80's and early 90's or more specifically one Club Kid named Michael Alig who spiralled out of control and ended up murdering a drug dealer, chopping his body up, putting it into a box and sending it afloat in the river. I've only watched this movie one time and now I'm about to watch it again.

Through the magic of the Internet, I'm back after watching the movie to continue with my review.

Favourite Scene

There are a lot of really great scenes, a lot of funny stuff . . . but I have to say that the scene in the coffee shop when James is teaching Michael how to be fabulous is definitely one of my favourites. Followed closely by the truck party when Christina is driving on acid. Funny!

Least Favourite Scene
Hmmm, nothing springs to mind . . . I didn't HATE any one part.

Favourite Character
Hands down it's Marilyn Manson's Christina! Hilarious! But Seth is brilliant in this as well.

Least Favourite Character
Okay, Mac was not the best in this . . . he seemed wooden by times, forced. But my least favourite character was Angel played by Wilson Cruz. I just wasn't buying what he was laying down, none of the time.

Favourite Quote
"I really think you should move in with me James. I'm just like a balloon, unless someone holds my string I'll float away." -- Michael to a comatose James after faking a suicide attempt.
And of course who could forget this one: "Oh James! I'm getting away with murder and you're just jealous!" -- Michael to James after James asks him how he can rat out Peter when he's been like a father to him.

Extras
Lots of juicy extras on this one, which I love. There's a featurette, director commentary, interview with the real Michael, actor interviews with all the primaries, behind the scenes footage and trailers. Good stuff. Hours of entertainment.

Thumbs Up or Down
A lot of people don't like this movie, but I'll give it the thumbs up. Maybe it's because I can remember seeing the Club Kids on tv talk shows back in the day and thinking they were fabulous, maybe it's because Seth Green just cracks me up, I dunno, but I like this movie.

Why is this movie in my collection?
Well, it's a good movie. I like it. It's a movie I'll be able to put in and watch every so often and be entertained, find new things that I missed last time. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, (the way it's shot, the subject matter, etc.) but I'm entertained by it and glad it's in my collection. If you're unsure though, you should rent it before buying. If I had to buy it again I wouldn't pay over $12.99. But if you remember I only paid $7.50 for my copy, what a steal!

2 comments:

Andrea R said...

You have to check out http://www.gofugyourself.com
They make fun of celebrities who dress awful - especially Chloe. ;)

Simply Kel said...

Oh yes, I've seen that, lol.