Sunday, July 10, 2005

Arrived Alive

got up at the crack of dawn this morning to pack (yes, I was supposed to have that done yesterday . . . but . . . ) finish up loose ends and leave for Freddy. Ended up rushing. I packed EVERYTHING! And still this evening I had a hard time finding an outfit to wear to the opening ceremony. Got to the bus station and had to wait almost 25 minutes because the bus was late . . . realised during that time, listening to locals converse with each other, that Sackvillers have an accent much like the twangy accent of people from Doaktown . . . interesting . . . how very Nova Scotia of them!

On the ride to Moncton I worried that the driver was falling asleep. I could see him in the mirror and he really seemed to be dozing off, head nodding on the chest. My concerns were solidified by the fact that the bus seemed to be lilting to the left and the right like a small ship in the water. I didn't bring my sea legs and was rather concerned. When we got on in Sackville a woman asked the driver if her teenage daughter was going to have to change buses in Moncton, he said yes. She then asked in that so friendly Sackville way if he would make sure her daughter got on the right bus. He said no. . . . No if's, and's, but's or apologies, just no. He said he'd announce over the speaker to get on the bus to his right or left and it would be clear. Now I thought this girl had a ticket to Fredericton, like me . . . but she did not get on the bus that I did when we switched in Moncton . . . in fact she didn't get on any bus that I could see . . . just stood there . . . not seeming to know where to go or what to do . . . or else she was just taking a breather and got on her bus when I missed it. So, why didn't I speak to the child? See which bus? Find out for sure? . . . I don't really know. I was just so tired and uncertain myself on my first trip to Freddy by bus that I couldn't take anyone else on, let alone a teenage girl . . . is that terrible? . . . Plus I knew we weren't the only connection to Fredericton that day . . . if she missed the bus, another would be along . . . okay . . . so I should've helped. I know that now. My guilt tells me it's so.

I arrived okay and on time, checked into my dorm (which is not bad) met with my group and instructor, then showered (in a co-ed OPEN facility where I was pretty uncomfortable) and got ready for the opening ceremony tonight at Government House. Always a good time there. Lots of wine and snackables (chocolate covered strawberries that were the bomb!). This time I got a personal intro with the host himself, the Lieutenant-Governor who's name is too complicated for me to remember how to spell right now. But he's a wonderful man, a great artist. There were many readings and much entertainment. Rhona had to tell me to get my ass back on the bus when it was time to leave . . . I was having such a good time. :-)

Tomorrow the workshop begins in earnest and I'm looking forward to it. I've put myself on the line bringing my novel here . . . with grad students and successful authors in my group . . . the whole thing could be potentially devastating . . . potentially life altering . . . potentially fantastic. It's all up in the air right now.

I took a few pics tonight and will post them when I get home or if I find a way to download them off my camera here. I'll try to keep blogging.

Mood: Slightly intoxicated
Drinking: nothing now . . . much wine earlier . . . and NOT the cheap stuff, the government issue
Listening To: keyboards clacking, beeping on screens, printing . . . this is a computer lab
Hair: Stunning if I do say so myself

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

So..........this open shower thing...is that like prison open or like school gym open? You know, with a curtain? Tell me it's not prison open where it's just you,a wall with numerous showerheads and drains in the floor? That I couldn't do! Anyway, have fun!

Simply Kel said...

I'm having the best time, the best! I know I keep saying that about everything I'm doing in recent months . . . going as far back as last fall with the Nowlan Fest . . . but I swear each event that I go to just expands upon the last one and it really just keeps getting better and better. It's an exciting time in my life for sure. And yes, Trish, Old Government House is always glamorous, always! I took some pics . . . not as many as Jenn probably would have liked . . . but a few candid shots. Luckily I knew someone who knew someone and got permission to take the shots seeing as I'm kind of a press type. I also got to meet the LG himself because I knew someone who knew him and made sure to intro me . . . and it's all about who you know right?