Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Taxicab Trilogy

In the City of Fredericton the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups. The passengers who would use a transit system if a reliable one existed and the cabbies who drive them. These are their stories . . .

Where to?

Lady Beaverbrook Residence on campus.

You a student?

No, a writer. I'm taking a workshop.

What do you write, romance novels?

Not so much, no. A little of this and that. Do you know where to drop me?

Hell yeah! Of course. Fifty years of driving, you get to know where to go.

Ok good. Because the guy I had yesterday didn't know and we ended up going all the way up to St Thomas.

You didn't know where to go either?

No, I'm not that familiar with the city.

Would you like to be?

Like to be what?

More familar with the city.

Sure.

I could take you on a tour.

Pardon me?

You could drive around with me, get the tour.

Like right now? In the middle of the night?

Yeah, yeah, sure. I'm on until 8, that's plenty of time to show you around.

Oh no, I don't think so, I've got an early morning.

I'd bring you back.

Good to know, but really no, I've got to go. How much?

Anyone ever tell you how pretty you are?

Only a few thousand times, but hey, it never gets old . . . four dollars right?

I can't convince you?

Sorry, no. Have a good night! Good luck with the next girl.

***

Do you mind if I pick up another girl too before we go back?

Not at all, I'm in no hurry.

Great thanks. Charlie, I'm going for the other one. Where's she supposed to be?

Front door.

Fuck! I hate that door . . . Charlie, she's not fuckin' here.

Give her a minute.

. . .

I'm gone. She's not here. Fuckin' waste of fuckin' time.

You seem a little cranky.

Huh?

I said you seem a little cranky.

Well yeah, you'd be fuckin' cranky too if you were on for 14 hours with a few more to go.

Wow, that's a long shift.

Too fuckin' long. And then I've got to go home to the fuckin' family.

You're married?

No. I take care of my fuckin' parents.

Oh, well that's a nice thing to do for them, to take care of them.

They're old, they've lost all their marbles and they won't fuckin' die. Yeah, it's just fuckin' beautiful.

You've got a really good attitude going on there, very upbeat.

Well, what the fuck am I supposed to do? I didn't ask for any of this fuckin' shit, it just got saddled onto me because I'm the only child.

It's not going to last forever, then you inherit everything and go on with your life.

Yeah, yeah, sometimes I just get so fuckin' upset because it's too much for one person.

I understand. My mom just went through this and that was with a big family, lots of support. It's not easy. But when it's over and they're gone, it's really over, there's no getting them back. You might want to enjoy the time you've got left a little bit more.

Yeah, I know, I know. Are you always this understanding?

Who the fuck knows?

***

What's wrong with the boy?

Huh?

What's wrong with the boy? Is he gay?

Not that I'm aware of . . .

Then why is he sending you home at 4:30 in the morning?

Ummmm . . . He's just not that into me.

But you're a fine looking young woman.

So I've heard, thanks.

What is he? Blind?

Nope, he's a poet.

Well, I think there's something wrong with him, sending home someone who looks like you do.

Could very well be, I haven't ruled it out . . . but it could be that I'm a raving bitch.

Nah, I don't believe that. You seem very sweet.

I seem very sweet? Or do I LOOK very sweet?

You look very sweet.

Yeah, it's a curse, but I'm trying to live with it.

But seriously, what's wrong with the boy?

Nothing. Everything. How am I supposed to know?

Well you were there, weren't you?

I don't know. Was I?

4 comments:

Andrea R said...

This was GOOD. (and sending you home at 4 am? WTF?)

Simply Kel said...

Thanks, Andrea. I had a couple more crazy cab rides but I thought I'd just stick to the trilogy (plus not having jotted it down immediately and soaking up a barrel of wine over the course of the week, made things fuzzy). What was so funny about that last one was by that time in the week I had begun to seek out unusual cabbies. I was being so picky that all the cars had left the club area and then this strange guy came up to us and was going on pretty weird, making me very uncomfortable, so we left in a hurry and I vowed I would just call a cab and take whoever I got. I was disappointed when I saw the driver too. He looked really normal. But turned out to be the funniest one of the week.

Anonymous said...

....aaahhh, Fredericton cabbies! Ethan from Standard has tried to pick me up many, many times. The last time was with Darcey sitting beside me.

"Have you met my Husband"

"Well hello sir, fine wife you have there"

.honest to God!

Simply Kel said...

LOL Too funny! These were all from George's I believe. Hey, a lot more exciting than the drivers I've been getting here or in Moncton, that's for sure.