Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Cure for Writer's Block

Another meme!

Have you honestly ever...?


1. ... got so drunk u woke up in an unfamiliar bed?
Sadly, yes. But really, I don't drink that much anymore . . . unless it's a special occasion, I'm on vacation, it's my birthday, I'm cooking Italian, I've gone home for the weekend, the sun is shining . . . nah, I'm just kidding. I've woken up and been confused for a second or two about where I am, but that can happen drunk or sober with me. I've never woken up wondering where the hell I am and who is that guy over there. I've always been able to figure it out, given a minute.

I remember a party in Toronto though, one of those insane ones where MB would bring home everyone from the bar, whether she knew them or not and they would stay for days, sometimes a week (is it any wonder I found it difficult to study?) This one time, I remember falling asleep upstairs in the big room with all the beds. There were so many people crashed in this one double bed that I was just clinging to the edge for dear life. I woke up and looked over to the other bed, saw Bob and a little guy (is dwarf a p.c. term?) all alone in this other bed, snuggled in together. The next time I woke up, Bob was alone in the bed.

Things would always turn up after these parties, stuff left behind (I found a double-headed dildo after a party once in my room, even though it was off limits and closed up). So after this party there was a pair of shoes left on the tray by the door. Nobody knew who owned them, nobody every came back to claim them. (Nobody ever claimed the dildo either actually. I always wondered where it came from, how it got into my locked room.)

MB ran into the little guy on the street about six weeks later. Turns out they were his shoes. Apparently, he woke up that morning to find himself in bed with Bob, quite snuggly, and fled the scene barefoot, went straight to re-hab and dried himself out. Maybe you would have to know Bob to understand why this is so funny.

2. ... got so pissed that you almost strangled someone?
Oh hell yeah! My father knows what buttons to push to make me see red. I've been trying to strangle him since I was just a little girl . . . we do better when we're further apart. The Toronto years were the best we've ever had. But Sackville is turning out not too shabby.

3. ... got so hungry you feel like eating your own flesh?
Not so much, no. The longer I go without food, the less hungry I get. I run the risk of ceasing to nourish myself if I start skipping meals and things. It's easy for me to fall back into those sorts of destructive patterns. I've been hungry enough to try some food I normally wouldn't, but never my own flesh.

4. ... got so addicted to something that got you in trouble?
Hmmm, I do have a kind of easily addictive personality . . . like for video games, food kicks (I was on popcorn, but have moved on to granny smith apples, olives and cherries), certain drugs, and so on . . . but have I ever got in trouble? Well, that would depend on your definition of trouble. Some might say so, but I think not.

5. ... got so sick you feel like dying?
High school graduation. A solid week of fuzzy navels. Sickness like never before or since. I stumbled home after . . . what was it? Prom night maybe? Stumbled home around 2 in the afternoon, crawled to the couch and hung on for dear life. My family were all away at the camp without me but Mom and Dad dropped in for a minute to pick some stuff up. I begged them to take me with them because I thought I was going to die.

And they didn't want to. Didn't want the relatives to see me in this state. They were going to leave me there to die rather than suffer the embarrassment of having me around. Somehow I found the strength to get up and crawl to the car, climb in and refuse to leave. Begged my father to buy ice cream at the store, fudgesicles. And after much begging he finally gave in. The fudgesicle saved my life, I'm sure.

I made it into the trailer at the camp and spent a very long time on the couch there, recovering. Many years passed before I could eat anything peach or orange flavoured. And I mean MANY years. Like at least 10. That's how sick I was.

Close behind this incident is New Year's Day 2000 . . . projectile vomiting even the fudgesicle couldn't fix. Not my best moment for sure. Not a high spot for me. I believe that might have been the defining moment of bottoming out where I realised I needed to make some changes and I needed to do it quickly. It was a hulluva day, but I can honestly say everyone since then has improved upon the last.

Have I ever been sick naturally without drinking myself there? Yes. Kidney infection in Toronto left undiagnosed and untreated for at least six months. On the last day all I could do was curl into the fetal and cry. Kevin literally had to pick me up in that position and carry me to the Emergency Room. The doctor said in one more day my kidney would have ruptured and I would've been in serious trouble, could have even died. It certainly felt like I was dying . . . or I should say it hurt so bad I prayed I would die and end the pain. But luckily it was all okay after a round of antibiotics.

Tagging anyone who wants to play!

No comments: