Friday, July 08, 2005

I Believe When I Fall In Love This Time It Will Be Forever

Have you seen that Moosehead Light commercial where the guy has the cottage that he loans to a friend who needs a place, a girlfriend that he gives to a guy who just broke up, and so on . . . but when it comes to the last beer in the cooler he snags it for himself? Seen that one yet? I have such a huge crush on that guy!! There's just something about him, his facial expressions . . . what a cutie! Don't you think? Anybody else notice him? . . . He reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it.

I just finished watching the movie Joyride on tv, hadn't seen it . . . could've lived without seeing it, but it was okay I guess. It's another exciting Friday night in Sackville. Every weekend someone in the neighborhood either sets off fireworks or fires off shots . . . I like to think it's fireworks . . . but it does sound a lot like gunshot. Makes me a little nervous. A half-dozen shots about a half hour ago. Crazy rednecks! I mean yes, lots of shooting going on around the Miramichi too . . . but I'll take the rednecks I know anyday over the ones I don't.

I still remember the night Teddy was shooting, gonna kill everyone. One of those clear nights where you can hear every sound for miles. They might as well have been right in the yard, the voices were so clear. I could hear him coming out the lane after them boys, shooting, yelling "Come on you cocksuckers!" Bang! "I'm gonna shoot yuz!" Bang! It was the closest I ever came to calling the police but I thought it only make it worse, that someone would get killed for sure if the cops showed up with weapons too. Still with Sherry and Gary living right there I was worried about stray bullets. And they slept through the whole thing! Which is crazy!

Aww, poor Teddy, never stood a chance though. I used to babysit him. They were the worse behaved children in the history of children I bet . . . although some of those kids you see on those nanny tv shows might give them a run for their money. Even then Teddy wasn't above coming at me with the gun or a machete. I remember him having a machete in bed with him that was longer than he was. Sleeping with it like a teddy bear. Little boy with the big man's voice. His older sister would just stand in the middle of the kitchen and screech . . . for hours . . . just screech for no reason. Beejay was my favourite, couldn't talk, always hiding behind my legs, just loved to be hugged and picked up. Craving attention. She pulled at my heartstrings.

Their mother would tell me she was just going to town shopping. I'd go up at 8 or 9 in the morning and never see her again until 3 or 4 the next morning. They'd all land back after a dance or something, have a big party or a fight in the dooryard depending on the mood. I was always nervous when Lyle and Marty would show up plastered . . . showing off . . . just couldn't be up to them. I'd always walk home real quick. Ironic to think of such things now . . . after having been with Marty for years . . . with Teddy, Beejay and their mother gone. Must be two years now for Teddy . . . When they start shooting around here, my first instinct is to listen for that gruff voice but in a blink I remember where I am, that these aren't the boys from the road, and Teddy's gone God love him.

Busy day tomorrow to get ready to leave on Sunday. I went out and bought some supplies to take with me . . . juice boxes, cereal bars, candy . . . In the candy department cheap is not the way to go, very disappointed with my 99 cent bag of toffees . . . I could've splurged another 50 cents or even less and got the real thing . . . oh well, I'm a poor person now, living off cheap candy. I might not be able to blog while I'm away . . . but I'm going to try. If not I'll take notes and come back with lots of stuff I'm sure. New for me, I'll actually have a camera for this trip! That could be interesting. Though I still have not read the instructions and so have not figured out how to get a nice clear and unfuzzy shot . . . maybe I'll take the manual with me.

Mood: Antsy
Drinking: Pop
Listening To: Eyes of a Stranger, The Payolas
Hair: has an appointment to get snipped in the a.m.

2 comments:

Andrea R said...

Yeah, the guy in the commercial looks like a friend-of-a-friend, ya know?

and? The bits in the middle about Teddy? Reads like fiction. Really, really good fiction. I was thinking, "Holy shit, did this happen?"

Simply Kel said...

Sometimes life really is stranger than fiction I guess. Eventually I think a lot of insanity I remember from the boys on the road will make its way into my fiction . . . some already has . . . strange thing about putting real stuff in fiction is that people often come back with the crit that the story is not believable. In the past I've been flabbergasted by that comment when I've written it just as it all happened paying particular attention to every detail -- "But that's exactly what happened!" . . . After taking Gerry's workshop at the AGM though, I know how to fix this problem I think. Only time will tell.