Saturday, July 30, 2005

You Spin Me Round

I totally forgot this was a long weekend . . . not that a long weekend is any different for me than any other weekend . . . or really any other day for that matter. I do live in my own little bubble, where night is day sometimes and day is night, where Tuesday can be Saturday and Saturday night can be Monday morning. It's all open for interpretation, right?

So, my whole fam-damily are off at some huge reunion thing in a big field complete with campers and tents and games and feasts . . . just like when I was a kid, except now the kids are adults and the adults are practically seniors and the children are brand spanking new . . . and Grammie & Grandad are absent. I'm curious about this new family dynamic. If I were at home I think I would have actually attended this event. SHOCKING! I know.

For so many years I've distanced myself from that part of the family, bonding more with Dad's side, and for no good reason other than I absolutely can't stand certain people (who shall remain nameless . . . but we all know who they are . . . ) Meanwhile, there are a whole bunch of really cool people in my family that I don't get to see either. Why should I miss out on the one, in order to avoid the other?

Well, it used to be for Mom, because my mother would not want me to ever say anything to these people or be at the heart of a family scene . . . but after two funerals . . . I'm thinking Mom is over that. Should I ever lose my temper and let fly, I don't think I'll be disowned. Not that I can't control myself. I demonstrated perfect control at all recent family gatherings, choosing to say nothing and letting my facial expression and hostile stance do the talking when accosted by the melodramatic nonsense that flutters about these things. This worked well.

They know I think they're nuts . . . I'm pretty sure they're too nuts to fully understand why I think they're nuts, but what does that matter . . . they're nuts! So yeah, if I'm around when things are happening, my mother's family might be seeing more of me . . . and the fruitcakes will just have to either leave me alone or . . .

I miss my kids. Didn't really get to see them all that much on that recent fly-by. I'll get my fill on the Fundy excursion I'm sure. Though thankfully I will not be sleeping with all the children this time in a little double bed. Though having my own bed means I'll miss Samuel's morning announcement that it's a beautiful day . . . regardless of rain or fog or sleet. Looking forward to the trip. I plan to go out with my notebook and just sit and listen to the waves crashing all day and capture some new characters. I've got a real strong feeling about this . . . think I'm going to meet or see something really interesting.

I'd like to go on a hike, something longer than a half-hour and a bit more difficult . . . but I'm terrified to go on my own and I don't think anyone else will be up for it, well maybe up for it but unable to go because of children. The kids certainly aren't old enough yet to go on an all-day hike. I would like to go to the copper mine, haven't done that since Stacy and I were kids and we carved all our initials into trees. "KU luvs RP 4ever!" (Or until I graduate and move away.) Probably killed the poor tree over that, what a shame. That trail was always too long and difficult for the kids . . . but I think it's only 2 hours or something . . . maybe the oldest could do it now.

It's been a couple of years since we've gone to Alma, I hope all the best things are still there . . . like the bookstore! I found some good stuff there last time, good deals. Bought a lot of plays if I remember correctly. Old copies of Shaw in mint condition. Although I really shouldn't spend any more money on books, when I've got so many I haven't read yet. I've got things from Frye Fest sitting on the shelf waiting for my attention still. People will read again! . . . I just don't appear to be one of them. Maybe it's because I'm writing more that I'm reading less. I've heard some people say they can't read anything when they're involved with their own work. Maybe that's it.

I had a good day today. I baked those ribs in Southwest Sauce, scalloped some red potatoes in garlic butter and onions. Did a nice vegetable medley. Yummy. But cooked enough for four people easy, so I'll be eating this all week . . . Felt like something sweet so I baked some cinnamon rolls. Double yummy. Not from scratch. I'm not set-up for baking yet, so they are of the Pillsbury variety. Only five in a package, but I'll never eat them all before they go stale, so I guess I'll freeze them for a rainy day. I know they won't be as good nuked, but still, it'll be nice to have a little something to pop in the microwave from time to time.

Mood: restless (really, really restless)
Drinking: some sort of generic diet soda
Listening To: George Thorogood, Bad to the Bone
Hair: cascading over my shoulders

No comments: