Monday, July 25, 2005

Rainy Day Blah-ness

Blah! It's a dark day, rain, chance of a thundershower. Makes me seriously sleepy. I could just curl up and nap for a few hours if I thought I'd ever be able to get to sleep again later tonight. Finding it very difficult to concentrate on work this afternoon.

Turned on the tv and watched five minutes of that soap opera, Passions. Hadn't seen it in I don't know how many years and yet all the same love triangles are intact. How on earth do people watch it every single day when nothing ever happens? That's why I like foreign soaps better like Home and Away and Cornation Street, they pack a lot of stuff into a half-hour. It's quick. Miss a single episode and your favourite character might be killed, buried, and long forgotten. Not that I watch Cornation Street very often, just sometimes on Sunday mornings.

I'm getting out of tv again it seems. A blessing of sorts, means I'll write more at least. As long as the new fall season doesn't suck me in, I'm good. Haven't even been watching too many dvds lately, and haven't bought any since my birthday! This is some sort of record for me for sure.

Stacy and I went to the Rogers sale on Saturday where there were plenty of 2 for $15 deals and then to Blockbuster, which seemed to have a huge new selection . . . and I bought nothing! Nada! Zip! I would like to say I showed incredible restraint, but really, I just wasn't all that interested. I think I'm getting all caught up in my head again, you know where the stories happening in there are just way more interesting than anything going on anywhere else. This new Merrin character is starting to take over. She's a funny girl and I just don't know what poor Duff is going to do with her. For now, they're co-habitating . . . but where does it all go? Does his wife come back? Does he fall in love with Merrin? And what part does his mother play in all this? I have no friggin' idea, just have to keep writing it down and see I guess.

I've never understood how some people can plot the whole thing in an outline before they start to write. I can't do that at all. I've tried but didn't get far before it fell flat. I never know what's coming until it does. It's kind of like I'm the first reader, like I'm taking dictation. When I'm truly connected with a piece, really feeling a character, I'm laughing out loud or gasping or crying or whatever the scene demands while I'm writing it down, just as if I was reading someone else's book. It's kind of weird, this creative process. Does that make me kind of weird too? My mother would say so.

3 comments:

Simply Kel said...

Nope, you're not weird either. I know lots of writers who write it all out long hand and then go to the computer. I know some writers who can't type, write it all out and then pay someone to transcribe it for them. My handwriting sucks and I can't keep up with my brain with a pen. I can write a few pages out but then I've got to get to the keyboard or go nuts. Wish you would send me some of your stuff sometime.

Andrea R said...

The princess and I went to Rogers too. Did they give you a balloon? ;)

And? It has to swirl aroudn in my head before I write anything down, then (if I'm lucky) it all flows out on the keyboard. No outline though, just a "feeling". Anything else to me feels really forced.

Simply Kel said...

Guess they only give balloons to princesses, cuz we didn't get any. The BBQ smelled yummy, though we didn't eat anything there either. I think it was just too damn hot touching those black cases baked in the sun like that. I might have bought something inside with air conditioning wrapped around me.

Yeah, things churn around in my head for awhile first too, then I spit them out.