Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Saturday Six

From Patrick's Place

1. What was your favorite childhood movie? When was the last time you saw it?


Good question. I'm trying to think of kid's movies (Disney stuff or cartoons) and have just realised that I didn't really watch kid's movies. I don't know if I didn't care for them or they just weren't an option. As a really small child any movie with Elvis was my favourite. I absolutely loved him!

But of course even Elvis could not survive the phenomena that was Grease, which happened when I was 9 or 10 years old. Fourth or fifth grade I believe. I knew every line, every lyric, every dance move. I wanted to be Sandy (not the dowdy one, but the hot one at the end, I still dream about those shoes) or Rizzo, because she was just cool without trying so hard. I wrote sequels, skits, new scenes (all of which have been destroyed over the years unfortunately). I had every piece of Grease paraphenelia that my parents would buy me.

Other than Stacy and I, the kids our age were not into this movie at all . . . because I think maybe we were perceived as being too young to see it. I've often met girls a few years older than me who totally share this obsession, who did all the things I did, but not many my age or younger (family doesn't count of course, the trickle down effect comes into play).

The last time I watched Grease was probably a good 5 or 6 years ago, maybe even more. Maybe not since the 20th Anniversary edition came out. Wow! I'm due . . . and I've just realised I don't own a copy on dvd. Must add to wishlist.

My Grease obsession was soon followed by a Saturday Night Fever obsession (and NONE of the kids were allowed to watch that one, even I had to close my eyes during the mooning scene on the bridge). Much more difficult dance moves for sure, and I still have a love for disco movies for some reason. But I drew the line at Urban Cowboy, which pretty much crushed my crush on John Travolta. Country! Ewww!

Soon though, there would be a Grease sequel, highly anticipated in my little world. And that started a whole new obsession, with Michelle Pfeiffer . . . I don't think I've ever wanted to be anyone more (except maybe Angelina Jolie . . . nah, even Angelina can't go there). By the time of Grease 2, I was into the terrible teens and the movie was less about learning the songs and dance routines (which of course were terrible) but more about studying the walk, talk, make-up, hair, clothing, smile and so on of Michelle in order to mimic her in my daily life and thus pick up a cool rider of my very own. I think I've probably seen every movie she's ever done. Haven't seen Grease 2 in a really long time though . . . pretty sure I don't need that dvd either.

2. Who is your worst enemy at the moment? (First names only, please.) Why is that person your enemy?

At the moment I don't think I have any enemies that matter anymore. There are people out there who hate me, who will always hate me. But they're not involved in my life in any way, so who cares what they think? I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it. If I do have an enemy right now plotting against me, I have no idea who they are or why they would do such a thing.

3. Which one of the following annoys you most when you encounter a new blog?
a. Constant grammatical errors.
b. Constant spelling errors.
c. Contrived "street" language.
d. Too many "nothing happening today" entries.


Contrived "street" language for sure. I guess I can't relate. The language just gets in the way. Nothing happened today entries are a bit annoying too. I mean, you're writing, something must have happened or don't write. I'm generally very forgiving of grammar and spelling in the blog sense though. I see it as being a different kind of writing, so things that will make me throw the New Yorker across the room are okay in blogdom.

4. Take this quiz: Which alcoholic drink are you?

Cocktail
Cocktail


?? Which Alcoholic Drink Are You ??
brought to you by Quizilla

5. What is the last thing yousaid to a person face to face? Who was that person?

Oh man! I live alone. I know nobody. I communicate through email . . . the last thing I said to someone face-to-face would've been to the cab driver who brought me and my groceries home the other day. He was joking with me at buying so much stuff. (I do sometimes forget that I am not buying for a family of four anymore.) He was an old guy, new driver for me, haven't had him before. He was saying stuff like, "Did you leave anything for anyone else?" Ha! Ha! (And it wasn't really all that much stuff, just a lot of veggies and water which took up a lot of bags). So the last thing he said when he was leaving was for me to be careful and not eat everything all at once (we had been talking about shopping when you're hungry, which is a mistake and I had been hungry that day). And I said, "No worries, thanks." And that would be the last thing I said to someone face-to-face other than maybe an "excuse me" or "pardon me" or something like that to a stranger on the street. I've had phone conversations though, so I'm not totally without some form of speech.

6. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #59 from Debi: When you shower, do you ever think of the Alfred Hitchcock movie, "Psycho?"

Absolutely not. Never. And if some creepy shower scene ideas try to creep in, I start singing and visualising clear sunny skies where the blue goes on forever.

No comments: