Saturday, July 02, 2005

Tears are Not Enough

How hot was Jon Bon Jovi today?! Man! They've got a new album dropping in September and he must be spending some extra time in the gym to be ready to tour or something. Not that he doesn't always look hot but that shirt and pants were like a second skin and he's rock solid big time. Ritchie looked good too of course. Tico's hair is a bit longer, like back in the day. Didn't see David or Hugh. Too bad we were only shown one song, but at least there was that.

What a day so far! Bob is killing me with the film clips. I've been bawling my eyes out. Cried buckets during Annie Lennox, the snapping psa with all the stars, and then the reminder of the starving Ethopians . . . thank God at least that last little girl lived. One bright spot. I can't bear to think about the children dying. How can we let this happen? How can we have so much . . . and them nothing? It breaks my heart.

When I was watching that video I kept seeing my nieces and nephew. What if they were the ones suffering? Would we just sit back and let it happen, cynically believing we couldn't do anything to change it? I know we wouldn't. The richest countries in the world have the power to end poverty. It's all a matter of policy. Think about what that would mean to all those kids, all those nieces and nephews, sons and daughters. It blows my mind. Sign the friggin' list if you haven't already. Tell your friends. Email them the link. Email the PM and tell him to introduce the policy at the G-8 Summit. It's such a little thing to do, but it could absolutely change the future of the world.

While the show is being broadcast all day long on CTV in Canada . . . I'm not seeing anything on any of my U.S. networks . . . is this another thing the American public will be in the dark about? Another thing the powers that be in that country don't want people to know? Hopefully not.

Favourite highlights of the concert for me so far has to be Bryan Adams and Bruce Cockburn. Bryan Adams looked good today, healthy. The last time I saw him he seemed sickly. He was awesome to watch and finishing with the bit from Tears Are Not Enough really drove the point home. Bruce Cockburn was a pleasant surprise. I hadn't heard he was going to be there. His songwriting has always been about the issues, increasing social awareness, and hearing songs like Rocketlauncher at the concert today really gave me a whole new perspective on those songs. It was almost like hearing them for the first time.

I love seeing Seamus hanging out in his t-shirt, being the casual cool dude that he always was on CTV's Talk TV network before the Canada A.M. gig. He's a fan of rock music for sure. I love that! And even Ben is doing a fine job today surprisingly. He is not his usual cheesy "reading the teleprompter" self . . . he actually has a personality. Nice to see.

No comments: