Sunday, August 07, 2005

Just One More Before I Go

Somebody in the neighborhood is smoking a helluva lot of pot tonight. I could get high just sitting by the open window. Have to leave for the bus in about 9 hours, still not packed, not ready to go, loose ends everywhere. Predictably sleepy though, just when I need energy to push through and finish some stuff. Must remember to pack sweaters, it's always cold there, even when it's warm.

Oddly craving a cigarette and a beer for the first time in ages. What is up with that? Hmmm . . . come to think of it, one of the last cigarettes I ever smoked was on a trip to Fundy. And I was drinking beer then. I remember sitting at the picnic table out at the water with Jason and Gary. I had quit for over a year, but they gave me one anyway. It was terrible. I choked and sputtered and wondered how I could have ever smoked so many cigarettes every day. On a regular day I would smoke a pack. When I ran the club there weren't very many regular days. Depending on if I slept I would run into 2 or 3 packs a day. Now how much did I smoke versus what burned away in an ashtray while I was busy being run off my feet . . . who knows? I couldn't stand to be in a room where so many cigarettes were smoked now, after the fact even. I'd be sick.

Sherry called earlier to confirm (again) the bus time and all that. Paulina talked to me for a minute. She's excited to be seeing me tomorrow, bringing toy dogs for me to meet and play with. The poor child loves animals so much. She wants a pet. She made a point to clarify that the dogs are toys and not real. I said that's okay, it's better to have toy dogs than no dogs at all, because I don't even have a toy one. She figured then that she was pretty lucky, in comparison to dogless me anyway. The Mrs. was stomping around the kitchen demanding things and refused to speak to me . . . until Paulina took the phone of course, then she had to talk too. Is she only two? It seems unreal that she could be only two. She told me she was watching tv, waiting for supper, needing some milk. Said she'd see me tomorrow when we went on vacation. Prattled all this stuff off, ignoring any of my responses or questions, and then said, "Okay, talk to you later Kellie. See you tomorrow. Bye." She's just two, had her birthday after I moved here. I don't know where these kids came from.

After that I called Mom to see if she was still coming. She is, though she's like that cartoon character, the one permanently under the raincloud, what cartoon is that? Is it Charlie Brown? My mother is depressed still, listless, because of Grammie and Grandad. You know it's bad when you call my house and Dad is the only ray of sunshine you encounter. She's forcing herself to go with us. I told her she's not allowed to be an old sad sack, she'd better work up some cheer or I will ditch her and go off and do my own thing. She said she'll be fine once she gets there. And she will. At least she's going places this summer, forcing herself or not. A repeat of last summer would have been terrible.

I think we're going to have a big party for Dad's 60th birthday in September . . . maybe. He said he didn't want one. But I think he just doesn't want to be the centre of attention, doesn't want people giving him gifts and things. But I'm thinking he'd love another day of playing washers and I know he loves watching all the singing and dancing and general drunken craziness that happens at these things. Although, I'm afraid to get near a karaoke machine again . . . it will be bad, very very bad. But oh so much fun, you know I won't be able to stop myself. I have zero self-control when it comes to making a fool out of myself. While we're away and relaxed we're going to try and talk Mom into having this party for him. So, we'll see.

SPeaking of parties, Stacy's surprise stagette was tonight. Jenn emailed me pics after she got home . . . lots of play-doh penises . . . some rather nicely sculpted . .. looks like Marilyn won with the nicest one, though Jenn did not give details just pics. I hope Stacy had a good time, I was sorry to have missed it but just couldn't be everywhere I'm supposed to be all at the same time . . . on my fixed income :-)

Anyway, I'm going into a computer-free zone (though Jason did remind me last night that Alma has an Access Centre) for a few days. So I'll be unplugged, writing the old-fashioned way with pen and paper. Maybe I'll have some stuff to blog about when I get back, some new things to share. Hopefully.

Ciao!

Mood: overwhelmed and running outta time
Drinking: sugar-free, caffeine-free generic cola
Listening To: John Mellencamp, What if I Came Knocking
Hair: up in a ponytailer scrunchy . . . very soccer mom circa 1992

3 comments:

Liz said...

it's the Flinstones. Name is Shleprock, always said wowsey wowsey woo woo. have fun this week!

Simply Kel said...

The Flintstones! Yes, of course! Thank you! I was going crazy trying to think of which cartoon character this was. Wowsey Wowsey Woo Woo :-)

Simply Kel said...

My mother vetoed the party vote . . . she doesn't feel up to it . . . says Coughlan clan won't be up for it, given the bursting into tears syndrome . . . but we'll see . . . I could always high-tail it back to Sackville from Grand Falls in time to see Matt Mays in concert for Frosh week . . . that too, is high on my list.