Sunday, August 28, 2005

On the Edge

I cooked a roast and baked potatoes for supper . . . then couldn't wait for it to finish cooking because I was starving to death, ate a sandwich to tide me over, which of course ruined my appetite and I couldn't eat anything I cooked. I really need to plan my meals better, hire a personal chef, buy some f-ing fruit and veggies so I can eat when I'm hungry without cooking, something . . . oh well, all the more leftovers for the rest of the week, right?

I put in On the Edge awhile ago . . . just for a moment I told myself, just a wee break from computer land . . . watched the whole thing again. I've lost track of how many times I've seen this movie. It's Irish, about suicidal youth in a mental institute. I love Cillian Murphy's character, Jonathon. His sarcasm is fantastic. It hooks you right from the first shot.

It's a funeral and the priest is waiting to start the service. A man, obviously a grieving relative, holds up a finger indicating to give it another minute. We hear the church doors open and slam. Cillian strides down the aisle, walks up to the coffin, stands at the end of it, where the head of the body would be. Just stands there for a second, building suspense, then knocks on the coffin, puts his ear close to the wood as if listening for a response.

"Still dead," he says and swaggers back down the aisle, leaves the church, puts on one of those hats with the ear flaps that my five year old nephew wears, gets on a bicycle and rides away, no hands while he lights a smoke, while Smashing Pumpkins, 1969, plays in the background and the opening credits roll. It's bizarre and only gets more bizarre and I absolutely love it.

The movie has serious subject matter but it's really funny. Better than Girl, Interrupted. The only thing that bugs me about it is they've got an American actor playing an Irish part and his accent is pretty terrible.

Mood: this would be the manic part of my week, i feel a full blown dose of Sunday Night Anxiety coming on
Drinking: water
Listening To: David Bowie, The Man Who Sold the World
Hair: dammit! why is it so hard to find a new do?

1 comment:

Liz said...

ahh, sundays.
Roast beef and potatoes.