Monday, August 15, 2005

Moncton to Miramichi

Gary from Montreal lies to me, asks if he may join me, says he wants to write . . . then talks non-stop while I try to continue writing in the notebook. He doesn't like planes, frequent train traveller and also bus, prefers bus on longish trips but not long enough for sleeper car. Prefers Amtrak over Via. Has crossed country via train to Vancouver then down into California and back across US to Montreal. No weeks spent anywhere, all sightseeing done on lay-overs, whirlwind cab rides through cities. How bizarre. He subjects me to a blow by blow accounting of every city, seeing the Atlantic and Pacific all in the same week. What kind of a vacation is this?

Across the aisle, youngest traveller is getting tipsy. Think one of the older ladies might be her mother. The two older women and man are trying to convince the young woman to leave her boyfriend. Not very subtle tactics. An all out gang up. This won't work.

W#1: If you stay with him, you're never going to make any new friends.

M: And you're going to lose all your old friends.

W#2: Look at all the friends you've lost already.

YW: Yeah, I know, I know. But it's not that easy, I don't have anywhere to go.

M: Say the word and Carol will get a place with you. She doesn't like her apartment anyway and wants to get someplace else.

W#1: That's a good idea. You can afford to pay on a place, can't you?

YW: Yeah . . .

W#2: Of course she can! She makes enough to pay half on a little place. You should call Carol when we get home.

YW: But what about him? I can't just leave.

M: I don't see why not.

W#1: Oh yes, you can do it when he's at work even.

M: I can round up the boys and we'll have you out in an hour.

W#2: You wouldn't even need to be there if you didn't want to be.

W#1: Yes dear, that's probably best. Just tell the boys what's what, me or her could go and pack up your suitcases, you wouldn't even have to be there at all.

YW: Oh, I don't know . . . really, you know, he's not that bad a guy . . .

W#2: (whispering) Does he hit you?

YW: Oh God no! NO! Nothing like that. No, no, I'd never stand for that, never. That would be the final straw.

[W#1 & W#2 exchange raised eyebrows look across table]

M: But do you love him? That's the thing.

YW: I-I-I . . .

W#2: You know, when you're at work can you not wait to get home to see him?

W#1: Do you miss him when you're not together?

W#2: Or could you care less whether you saw him again?

YW: No, when we're not together I don't even think about him at all.

M: There you go then.

YW: But then I see him . . . and I want to be with him, can't imagine being with anyone else.

[W#1 & W#2 sigh and tisk as an uncomfortable minute of silence flows over their group]

YW: Yeah, I love him --

W#1: Well, we don't have to talk about this now, dear.

W#2: No, no, forget about it and just enjoy your vacation.

M: Nothing you can do from Toronto anyway.

W#1: Right. Just enjoy your trip, dear.

W#2: I'm worried about tornados and terrorists.

W#1: By Jesus, me too, me too. Toronto gets those wicked tornados and you just never know who any of the people are. Could be terrorists right on this here train.

[YW slips her headphones on, cranks the music, lies back in her seat and closes her eyes.]

No comments: