Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Rain

The students are here. One day they weren't and the next they were. Half a dozen charred mattress remains surrounded by orange pilons in the residence parking lot. Are the fire department investigating? Why is the area cordoned off? People everywhere in the street, asking directions, greeting long lost friends. You can tell the first year kids. There's fear in their eyes. They don't know anybody, don't know why they are here. Some of them have parents by their side, doing the tour. Prices at the Save-Easy have taken the Fall leap, who knew they could go even higher? Many of the cheaper generic brands have disappeared completely. It's all brand name now. I can't bear to pay eight bucks for a little package of coffee I can get in Miramichi for $4.75.

Rain again. I should be out in it where Callum would be, feeling my hair soak through, the water running off the tip of my nose, the chill after, the roughness of the towel. But I feel so far away from that poor Irish Catholic boy, I don't want to empathise, to wear his skin. He's stopped talking to me anyway, gone into himself again, treating me just like any of the other girls. Of course, the girls have tons to say, tonnes! But it's all so terrible. Oh the things this boy does to them, the way he treats them . . . how am I supposed to redeem such a character?

Mood: restless
Drinking: concha y toro
Listening To: Guns 'n Roses, Sweet Child O Mine
Hair: having a great hair day, long and loose, yet not too wild and frizzy

No comments: